• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sim Racing Game Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I don't see a thread dedicated to simulation racing, so let's create one.

Post information about or discuss any games that fall into this category. I'll be updating this thread when we get more information.

Feel free to post pictures of your setup, as well! If you do this, please attach the images to your post instead of linking them offsite. This retains the images if your host goes offline.

Additionally, feel free to edit the thread summary to add information so you don't have to wait for my slow butt!

Last edited:
iRacing is where its at.

Also, should rfactor even be considered? :p

you can mine and play rfactor at the same time :) just not at max intensity. There's Older sims like Live for Speed and Richard Burns Rally that you should check out.

I just jumped back on the sim bandwagon after not doing much besides forza since the 90s. (Nascar racing, anyone?)

ATMINSIDE has been very helpful in getting me to spend more money on this. :thup:

Of the modern games, I've only played iRacing and I'm enjoying it pretty thoroughly Heck, I'd be playing it right now if I wasn't in the middle of baking a cake.

Thid, are you trying to link a bunch of stuff in your post? Resources and what not? I'd suggest the thread summary feature so others can get at it and add.

I just jumped back on the sim bandwagon after not doing much besides forza since the 90s. (Nascar racing, anyone?)

ATMINSIDE has been very helpful in getting me to spend more money on this. :thup:

Of the modern games, I've only played iRacing and I'm enjoying it pretty thoroughly Heck, I'd be playing it right now if I wasn't in the middle of baking a cake.

Thid, are you trying to link a bunch of stuff in your post? Resources and what not? I'd suggest the thread summary feature so others can get at it and add.

Yeah, I try lol!

Also, that's a lie.

Whoa wait a second. He is making me buy stuff too.

:eh?:

You know, just helping you guys spend money that you want to spend. :attn:

He's good at that. I suggest changing his title to some sort of warning.

I had to buy a g27 wheel set before he convinced me to spend more cash. Summer is coming, and the bike might need some work in the spring.

Missed this. Have at it with links if you want. Totally forgot about that feature. I just added it to the thread.

I had to buy a g27 wheel set before he convinced me to spend more cash.
Same, but I have a Fanatec wheel on the way.

See, that's from saving money and not getting that Surface Pro 2.

I'm still incredibly bad at iRacing. Each time I'm about to break my time record, I choke and spin out instead. Also, faster than 100 mph and the dead zone in my controller means I can't hold the straight.

Thid, I take it you started iRacing recently as well?

EDIT: I found you! Friend request away!

Didn't get a Surface, but I bought a Galaxy tablet, which was about as expensive. Best purchase I've made in a long time though.

I am on iRacing, yes. I don't have my wheel, so I'm just using a 360 controller. Favorite car out of the ones you get for signing up is the Caddy. Drives nice and sounds really good, especially in replay.

I think I'm doing it right.

FYI guys, iRacing won't work with video recording unless you run 32-bit.
Unless you know of something that records 64-bit games.

Didn't get a Surface, but I bought a Galaxy tablet, which was about as expensive. Best purchase I've made in a long time though.

I am on iRacing, yes. I don't have my wheel, so I'm just using a 360 controller. Favorite car out of the ones you get for signing up is the Caddy. Drives nice and sounds really good, especially in replay.

I think I'm doing it right.

I haven't managed to get that much air yet. But I'm on the way to fame, just like you.

I'm also on the 360 controller. Battery died in the middle of my practice last night too.

Save yourself some power and turn down those FPS...

I understand, I've got mine locked to 135 vsync turned off. Thid is over 300fps though.

Just trying to help him pay off that wheel.

ATMINSIDE, are you going to mention the TrackIR or do I need to?

On a "normal" track (Laguna Seca) while racing, it is around 104-120, but I don't lock it to vsync as that was for testing. Pretty sure my replay settings are lower, which is why it is running at an absurd speed. I have the quality cranked way up and want to make sure it works good on all the tracks.

I understand, I've got mine locked to 135 vsync turned off. Thid is over 300fps though.

Just trying to help him pay off that wheel.

ATMINSIDE, are you going to mention the TrackIR or do I need to?

You mean mention the best thing since sliced bread?

On a "normal" track (Laguna Seca) while racing, it is around 104-120, but I don't lock it to vsync as that was for testing. Pretty sure my replay settings are lower, which is why it is running at an absurd speed. I have the quality cranked way up and want to make sure it works good on all the tracks.

Yeah, replays are higher fps a lot of times, just because it isn't doing calculations again.

rFactor 1 is great, rFactor 2 is lacking, iRacing is OK (if you race A LOT to make the $14/mo fee worth it), SimRaceway is ok for once in a while racing, GTR 2 is pretty decent (I love the Le Mans mod), Project Cars I haven't really had a look at, NFS: Shift 2 is just straight up terrible (huuuuuuge input lag even with the modded dxinput that's out there for it).

Asetto Corsa so far has the best potential to be a full fledged game.
FYI guys, iRacing won't work with video recording unless you run 32-bit.
Unless you know of something that records 64-bit games.

I'm not sure what this means? Bandcam, Mirillis Action, DxTory and PlayClaw can record 64bit games.

Tekno, I'm on the 49/yr plan on iRacing, makes it a LOT easier to take than 14/mo.

I just got my wheel...

Outside of now having to completely change my desk around, I also can't drive any more.

It will take a long time to get used to this.

I signed up to iRacing today and played around for a bit with my 360 controller. Game looks to be super fun but the controller is absolute garbage. Joysticks are sloppy as hell and it really shows in this game. They don't reset to a "zero" position or anywhere close to it when you release them. Calibration tool in iRacing was showing -37% on the right stick when i wasnt touching it, and -40% on the left stick. Probably 50 hours played in various games with this controller, so its definitely not worn out. Must just be a piece of crap.

I'll definitely be buying a racing wheel and giving it another try :)

Back