• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so i wanted to add another 7870....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

....to my current system. but when I go to find a match for the one I have, because I would like 2 of the same cards, they cost more now that when they were new!

I figured by now a 7870 should be just under $200 or lower.
how far down the line do these "good for mining" video cards go?
I figured its something that's been out a while and people would want something newer than this...
this mining craze is really starting to **** me off. I thought about doing it but now its become a fad and one that got expensive for no apparent reason

If you're not mining you're better off selling the 7870 and buying a NVidia card that will outperform a pair of 7870's. Something like a 770 will probably be what you would want.

^^^Agree with him. I'm not sure the price of a 270x right now probably too much. For gaming, sell your 7870 and get a 770. I sold my 7970 and happily bought a gtx 780

Edit, nvm 270x are 300$...Jesus my lady friend bought a 280x for 300 a few months ago. Sell your 7870..Probably for a profit and upgrade

Edit, nvm 270x are 300$...Jesus my lady friend bought a 280x for 300 a few months ago. Sell your 7870..Probably for a profit and upgrade
The AMD cards are so over priced right now if your not mining with them. I wish I didn't return my 7970 GHZ edition I bought in September because it wouldn't overclock worth a damn.

The AMD cards are so over priced right now if your not mining with them. I wish I didn't return my 7970 GHZ edition I bought in September because it wouldn't overclock worth a damn.

It's incredible. My 7970 was voltage locked (damn xfx) and could only reach 1060mhz core. I paid 259 (279 with 20 rebate) used it for about 3 months with no intent on selling it until the price hike. I sold it for 375$ to a happy person and bought my 780 lightning.

I honestly felt like a stock broker... I sold as soon as the price hike showed it's ugly face. If I would have waited a month or two I probably could have got a little more out of it.

what do you think I could get for a twin frozor 7870 that's about a year or so old

what do you think I could get for a twin frozor 7870 that's about a year or so old

For how much money? If more than 200 dont waste your money. I'm betting you can sell that 7870 for around 200$.. Amd has/had issues with crossfire which is why I never did crossfire my 7970. I did crossfire my 7970 with girlfriends 280x..while performance was through the roof.. some games had issues. Stuttering, dropped frames, sometimes only one card would work. you'll need a power supply that can handle crossfire as well.

I upgraded the PSU recently from the 600w OCZ stealth...what ever its called to a corsair cx750.

750watts should be enough and the stuttering you were talking about, I notice that in some games as it is, I only noticed it with more recent drivers though. tried a fresh install of windows even and still no change.

I did figure out a while ago that amd has finally hired a second person to program drivers, I think it might be about time to get a 3rd

I upgraded the PSU recently from the 600w OCZ stealth...what ever its called to a corsair cx750.

750watts should be enough and the stuttering you were talking about, I notice that in some games as it is, I only noticed it with more recent drivers though. tried a fresh install of windows even and still no change.

I did figure out a while ago that amd has finally hired a second person to program drivers, I think it might be about time to get a 3rd

3 people to do drivers seems like a joke lol. I have the same power supply and I do believe it's enough for dual 7870s however I still stand by my advice I posted earlier. Sell your 7870

A Guy on here is selling his 7870 for 150$ which is a great deal. You could do your crossfire that way. Although I would take the 150-200$ you're willing to spend on a used 7870 put it with the money you'd make selling your 7870 and buy a new gtx 770. Performance is just behind 7870 crossfire and that's when it works flawlessly. Would use less power performer better OVERALL. Lower temps as well.

Last edited:
eh with NVidia 8xx cards around the corner I might as well just wait and see what happens.

and yea its a joke because they seem to finally get on top of their driver issues and then it gets bad again.

eh with NVidia 8xx cards around the corner I might as well just wait and see what happens.

and yea its a joke because they seem to finally get on top of their driver issues and then it gets bad again.

Wise decision. . Although I'm sure the 8 series will cost more. Be interesting to see if they offer new features

Agreed with your view on amd. Soon as you get comfortable something goes wrong or let's you down.

being that I mine as a hobby, the price gouging goes pretty far down the line, mainly any x8xx and x9xx series of card. The price of new cards is becoming a little better (the PC 270x Devil in my sig is 239 at the egg)

If you are going to xfire with an R9 270, skip the X. Most 7870's wont clock as high as a 270X so its not worth the extra $$

I do however agree with the above folks, if you're going for an enthusiast card go nVidia. All around better value.

being that I mine as a hobby, the price gouging goes pretty far down the line, mainly any x8xx and x9xx series of card. The price of new cards is becoming a little better (the PC 270x Devil in my sig is 239 at the egg)

If you are going to xfire with an R9 270, skip the X. Most 7870's wont clock as high as a 270X so its not worth the extra $$

I do however agree with the above folks, if you're going for an enthusiast card go nVidia. All around better value.

I didn't think a R9 270 Could crossfire with a 7870? The R9 270X however can? The 270 can crossfire with a 7850 though right? A 7850 can't crossfire with a 7870 can it?

And yeah $239 for the Devil is back to original retail if I'm not mistaken?

I didn't think a R9 270 Could crossfire with a 7870? The R9 270X however can? The 270 can crossfire with a 7850 though right? A 7850 can't crossfire with a 7870 can it?

And yeah $239 for the Devil is back to original retail if I'm not mistaken?

Only difference between a 270 and a 270X is binning (clock speeds) AFAIK. Both are pitcairn GPU's.

Yes, 239 is pretty close to MSRP. Retail 270X's across the board have dropped back to pretty decent prices.

Back