• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon on consumer board = ? (z77)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Straight to the question: Since the memory controller is built into the CPU for LGA1155 based CPUs, will using a Xeon processor in a consumer board allow the usage of ECC ram?

I have searched for the answer to this but have not found a definitive answer to the question. Instead of trying to purchase all new hardware just to make use of ECC ram, I'd rather just swap the cpu and ram in my ESXi box. The motherboard does support Xeon processors (cpu compatibility) but is unclear about the ram. Says that ECC is not supported on the main page, but again, the controller is built into the CPU. Using a Xeon should allow ECC ram, or does the motherboard actually play a role as well?:confused:

ASRock boards tend to have more options available that are normally not there on other boards. It's one of the reasons I used the z77 Professional for my ESXi box because it supports VT-d (along with 32GB of ram, and the # of PCIe slots I needed). The main page for the board states non-ECC, but other z77 boards in their product line state the same, yet list ECC nonbuffered rams on ther compatibility list, along with the same Xeon cpus that the z77 Pro also supports.

Refining my search also brought up this thread on another forum: http://forums.servethehome.com/htpc-network-media-player-forum/662-my-htpc-build-experiences.html

The poster there too was also using ASRock boards for similar reasons, and playing with Xeon + ECC ram on them. At least, that's what I think think they were doing when I quickly skimmed through the thread. I'm not 100% sure what hardware combinations they were testing and which worked or didn't (kinda seems like on page 3 of the thread the ASRock + Xeon + ECC ram worked). I'll have to read it more thoroughly later.

I'm gonna see if I can contact that poster, and probably send a email to ASRock and get their input. A post in that thread also seems to indicate that the ASRock board supports ECC after having emailed ASRock asking about it, but again, I'm not entirely sure if it was one particular board, or the whole z77 line.

Back