• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who won the nexgen console wars in terms of units sold?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

By now the dust must have settled on the console wars, so who won? Did Sony sell more PS4's than MS sold Xbones?

IMO it is far, far too early to declare a winner in this generation. Both systems are selling millions at this point. The only next-gen console that appears to be taking on water is the Wii U, not surprisingly.

This is not intended to be rude, I am unable to get to most of these sites as I am at work and Websense blocks the links as "game"... but I googled, 'next gen console sales' and came up with this return... it should have some facts in there for you... :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=nex...7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Last I recall Sony was up big. They are not going to lose that lead unless XB1 on WiiU comes out with something epic on a refresh, but that is highly doubtful...

EDIT: FOund one that wasnt blocked: http://www.universityherald.com/art...-dominance-tops-6-million-units-worldwide.htm

Sony is up like 2.1 million some units right now. Though MS is betting big on Titanfall and if people can see how the cloud can change the aspects of gaming, we'll see how that might change how games are made in the future for that console.

I got both so, but still lean a little more on Xbox One side currently as a preference.

I always got the feeling Halo was game changer for MS and the Xbox vs. the more established console manufacturers.
I'm surprised PS4 has more units sold -- it seemed like the Xbone got more press/publicity.

I always got the feeling Halo was game changer for MS and the Xbox vs. the more established console manufacturers.
I'm surprised PS4 has more units sold -- it seemed like the Xbone got more press/publicity.

Sure... more BAD press.

Crucially just prior to launch.

Biggest debacle in the history of gaming.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...units-but-microsofts-xbox-one-is-catching-up/

But it wasn't GOOD Press/Publicity. The price difference ($100.00USD), the DRM and used game statements, the Kinect Mandate, the mandatory online checkin, etc. etc. etc. all "backfired" on MS. Most of those issues were reversed or 'changed" but not all. MS pushed (and still is doing it a fair bit) the Xbone more as a media center instead of a next gen game console.

Sony let MS come out first, state what they would and wouldn't permit and then responded, and burned MS pretty badly when they did it. Sony did (and still is doing) a lot of the same stupidity as MS but they werent as blatantly "stupid" about it. I am still waiting for a real reason to move to a new console.

I didnt realize until I started moving things around but evidently I am more of a gamer than I thought. I have an original PS1 and PS2, a "modified" 2nd gen PS3 and PSP. Even though I have all Sony consoles, their multiple security failures, revisionist memory and so much more, I would get a Xbox if I had a reason to. I just have never been able to find a compelling reason to get one vs playing the same game on my PC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...units-but-microsofts-xbox-one-is-catching-up/

But it wasn't GOOD Press/Publicity. The price difference ($100.00USD), the DRM and used game statements, the Kinect Mandate, the mandatory online checkin, etc. etc. etc. all "backfired" on MS. Most of those issues were reversed or 'changed" but not all. MS pushed (and still is doing it a fair bit) the Xbone more as a media center instead of a next gen game console.

Sony let MS come out first, state what they would and wouldn't permit and then responded, and burned MS pretty badly when they did it. Sony did (and still is doing) a lot of the same stupidity as MS but they werent as blatantly "stupid" about it. I am still waiting for a real reason to move to a new console.

I didnt realize until I started moving things around but evidently I am more of a gamer than I thought. I have an original PS1 and PS2, a "modified" 2nd gen PS3 and PSP. Even though I have all Sony consoles, their multiple security failures, revisionist memory and so much more, I would get a Xbox if I had a reason to. I just have never been able to find a compelling reason to get one vs playing the same game on my PC.

Now there's less of a reason than ever. Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed IV, even Titanfall... so far ALL of the Next Gen "exclusives" can also be played (and better) on the PC.

Amazing really...

I really don't find a compelling reason for ANYBODY to buy into this console generation. Especially not since smaller/cheaper phone and tablet games are becoming increasingly popular.

Yeah Sony has its own issues that have been creeping up as of late with resolutions at least in Killzone and im sure there is other, things Sony may be hiding.

I know I've mentioned that I do have both PS4 and Xbox One. I do not plan on buying games cross console or anything like that. I enjoy gaming and while yes I do have a PC that is close (20ft) from my TV and I could enjoy it that way though IMO certain games just play better on the console, but some of those games would be nice with keyboard mouse (I do understand this).

Though as the reasons you stated, I do prefer my Xbox One over the PS4 for some reason, and I don't understand why persay. Yes I understand PS4 is better graphically (1080p/60FPS) in majority of games. Though something about the Xbox seems more... homey. I know I will get my exclusives on the PS4 I want to play, and games more orientated for the PS4 (like MGS).

Consoles I've owned in the past where Atari, N64, Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360 and now Xbox One / PS4. Got more into the console market when I got into College really, even though I love my PC's :) Little cheaper than a PC, but still keep my PC up to date mostly.

And to add to Rainless's comments about phones/tablets. I do enjoy that as well. Got a iPhone 5s (work) and android Tablet (Nexus 7 2013), and potentially getting an iPad because of kids and school using them (get similar/same apps for them). Just glad I'm lucky/fortunate enough to afford these toys.

Yeah Sony has its own issues that have been creeping up as of late with resolutions at least in Killzone and im sure there is other, things Sony may be hiding.

I know I've mentioned that I do have both PS4 and Xbox One. I do not plan on buying games cross console or anything like that. I enjoy gaming and while yes I do have a PC that is close (20ft) from my TV and I could enjoy it that way though IMO certain games just play better on the console, but some of those games would be nice with keyboard mouse (I do understand this).

Though as the reasons you stated, I do prefer my Xbox One over the PS4 for some reason, and I don't understand why persay. Yes I understand PS4 is better graphically (1080p/60FPS) in majority of games. Though something about the Xbox seems more... homey. I know I will get my exclusives on the PS4 I want to play, and games more orientated for the PS4 (like MGS).

Consoles I've owned in the past where Atari, N64, Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360 and now Xbox One / PS4. Got more into the console market when I got into College really, even though I love my PC's :) Little cheaper than a PC, but still keep my PC up to date mostly.

And to add to Rainless's comments about phones/tablets. I do enjoy that as well. Got a iPhone 5s (work) and android Tablet (Nexus 7 2013), and potentially getting an iPad because of kids and school using them (get similar/same apps for them). Just glad I'm lucky/fortunate enough to afford these toys.

Colecovision, Atari, and then diddly until 1st Gen Nintendo, and then the horrible consoledrought happened (I partly blame Commodore and MS for that horrible afflicition!) until I bought my Dreamcast.

Console drought? Arguably the best console ever is the SNES.

Yes, no consoles at all for me (family BS and such made all of my consoles "disappear" from my possession) from when the NES was new until the Dreamcast was about to be cancelled AKA parents divorced, and if I didnt carry them with me they were sold/trashed/given away/whatever.

Ohh, I misunderstood, thought you were saying there were no consoles worth owning from nes until the Dreamcast!

Makes sense now, sorry for the hardship during that time. :(

Console drought? Arguably the best console ever is the SNES.

Not a chance: Neo Geo Gold baby.

Considering the time when it was made (around the time of the SNES) til it's very last game (which was probably just two or three years ago).

Back