• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick .dir question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Anyone know how I can un-hide a dir that starts with a "."

I am in the process of moving my file server over to a linux based solution and two of my CD's are giving me some grief.

...And the Circus Leaves Town
...An Education In Rebellion

Any way I can un-hide them without removing the dots at the start of the album name?

Without removing the '.', I don't think there's a way to unhide it. What do you need the directory to be visible to? If you just need to see it, you can use the '-a' option with ls. If you're using something like Ubuntu, there's probably a way to make the GUI show hidden files.

Otherwise, just 'mv .XXX xxx'

On the command line I am good. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Its when my wife is looking from Windows or my OpenELEC XBMC system is looking I was concerned about.
Really trying to avoid the rename. As that is not the name of the album.
But you sometimes have to work with the limitations of the system i guess.

On the command line I am good. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Its when my wife is looking from Windows or my OpenELEC XBMC system is looking I was concerned about.
Really trying to avoid the rename. As that is not the name of the album.
But you sometimes have to work with the limitations of the system i guess.

With XBMC

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Appearance

Settings > Appearance > File lists > Show hidden files and directories

If you want to rename a batch number of files, you can use something like Quick Anime Renamer and do a find and replace for "." to "".

Thanks guys, but i think i am just going to rename the dir.

Back