• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Northbridge Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FX-8320 4.5GHz = For real, now in use, does that speed stable and so forth. That is what for real means.

Looking at your capture in Post #22 above the 225 x 20.5 should actually be a speed of 4.6125Ghz which is even faster than 4.5Ghz on the FX-8320.
RGone...ster.

Ah gotcha. And I post right after that I was able to bump the multiplier to get 4.612 but the Prime95 I posted earlier was at 4.5. The change to 4.6 was done last night to see if it could do it since I wasn't being thermally throttled by the mobo and I was able to. Still only hit 69C on socket during Prime95 but I haven't updated signature and may try 4.7!

And its for real! I posted the Prime95 after 20 minutes earlier.

Here's a Prim95 hot off the press. It shows 70C on HWMonitor but other software put it at 69.4 as a max. It never throttled and spent most of the time in the 66-68C range.

I also included the Corsair Link software if someone hasn't seen it. Its kinda cool.

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    253 KB · Views: 588
  • Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    302 KB · Views: 587
No reason to get caught up in the Cpu race, Doner you're fine right where you're at. Going for magical numbers with these chips take, stout motherboards, exceptional cooling, a good piece of silicon and a whole lot of airflow. For normal usage like gaming and browsing you're not going to see a difference between 4.5 and 4.7/4.8. Most of us that have big cooling don't even run as high as we can stable because the voltage necessary to do so just isn't worth it. I have my chip stable at 5.1 g 2 hours prime blend, with good temps and I will not run it there because the voltage needed to run it there is ridiculous. I do run it there and above that for benching purposes but that is only for short periods of time and again on really good cooling.

No reason to get caught up in the Cpu race, Doner you're fine right where you're at. Going for magical numbers with these chips take, stout motherboards, exceptional cooling, a good piece of silicon and a whole lot of airflow. For normal usage like gaming and browsing you're not going to see a difference between 4.5 and 4.7/4.8. Most of us that have big cooling don't even run as high as we can stable because the voltage necessary to do so just isn't worth it. I have my chip stable at 5.1 g 2 hours prime blend, with good temps and I will not run it there because the voltage needed to run it there is ridiculous. I do run it there and above that for benching purposes but that is only for short periods of time and again on really good cooling.

More realistic words were never spoken. I normally run my FX-8350 at 4.3Ghz and only bump it up to 4.8Ghz when I am video editting. Now that I am using 16gigs of ram instead of 8 gigs, I need to do some stopwatch tests of time to completion of my renders and see if I really need 4.8Ghz still
RGone...

Now that I am using 16gigs of ram instead of 8 gigs, I need to do some stopwatch tests of time to completion of my renders and see if I really need 4.8Ghz still
RGone...
I'd be interested in knowing what the time savings is.

More realistic words were never spoken. I normally run my FX-8350 at 4.3Ghz and only bump it up to 4.8Ghz when I am video editting. Now that I am using 16gigs of ram instead of 8 gigs, I need to do some stopwatch tests of time to completion of my renders and see if I really need 4.8Ghz still
RGone...

So you have a bios with multiple saved settings? Then switch in the bios?

I took the advice and came down to 4.3 Ghz. Fraps isn't showing a decrease in FPS but my temps are much better. I lowered the offset back to 50mV and lowered Volts to 1.35. The PC doesn't get near as loud when gaming or burning a DVD now either.

I used to recommend the same thing to people overclocking their Android Phone. Just because you CAN do a thing doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD do it 24/7. Now that I know what the system can do I am very happy with it. The speed + acoustics + temps are much better @ 4.3.

So you have a bios with multiple saved settings? Then switch in the bios?

Now that I know what the system can do I am very happy with it. The speed + acoustics + temps are much better @ 4.3.

Actually it takes longer for me to swap profiles (seems to anyway) than it does for me to just drop the multiplier and roll-back the offset votlage and reboot at the raised speed or if running fast to drop back. I am know lots of people that would not like an Asrock AMD board because it only has room for 3 saved profiles but Asus has 8 posssible profiles. As long as I have one profile to save which is my first default get started upward...then I am fine. It is always strokes for folks.

If FRAPS is golden at 4.3Ghz then, heck yes go for less speed and use the quiet to think. Hehehe. Good deal man.
RGone...

I have Asrock Killer with a FX 4300 running at 5.05 GHz. I only use a 80mm fan blowning across stock the heat sink.

Back