• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidding/OC Results (Kind of disappointed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsx821

I completed my first build last week. And I just finished my first delid tonight, and the overall process went smooth.I used the vice/hammer/wood method and used AS5. Took about 3hits and it popped off. Yup- returning the vice to Home Depot tomorrow :D.... I wasn't really going to delid my cpu, but sadly I bought a below average chip to overclock with.

I5-4670K Batch #: 3339B838 (purchased at Micro Center about 2-3weeks ago)
Mobo: Asus Z87-A
PSU: Corsair CX600M
Ram: 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (9-9-9-24)
Stock Idle Temp via Hyper 212 Evo and AS5: 27C-33C
Ambient Temps: Not sure I live near the coast its about 13-20c outside

Test 1
Core Ratio Multiplier: 40
Cache “Ring” Ratio Multiplier: 38
Core Voltage: 1.180
Core Voltage Mode: Manual
Cache Voltage: Auto (Adaptive)
Core Voltage Mode: Auto (Adaptive)
Idle Temp: 36C-42C
Max Core Temp: 79C
Max Temps: 79C, 78C, 78C, 74C
Stability Test: Prime95 blend test for 10hours 17mins.

Test 2
Core Voltage: 1.165v
Max Core Temp: 78C
Max Temps: 78C, 77C, 76C, 73C
Stability Test: Prime95 blend test for 1hour 20mins.

Test 3 (after delid used Test 1 Configuration)
Core Voltage: 1.180
Max Core Temp: 72C
Max Temps: 68C, 69C, 72C, 71C
Stability Test: Prime95 blend test for 1hr.. currently running and going to leave it on overnight.

I did my best to remove the black glue off the IHS but didn't remove all of it. Not sure if that is the problem. I might use a hairdryer to melt/remove most of it off this upcoming weekend. I carefully used a flat screwdriver to apply the AS5 (did it about 4x) and used it to 'paste' a thin layer. It looks like I'm only going to see about ~5C-7C difference on max core temp. I was hoping for at least double.. My Idle temps before delidding and after delidding seems to remain the same.

I guess the upside is that if I lower the voltage like I did in Test 2, my max temp will be around 70C or maybe even less. I also like to mention that I have 2noctua push/pull fans (which I regret purchasing) on my Hyper 212 EVO, 1 noctua exhaust fan, and 2 corsair intake fans. Oh well- I guess my goal of a 4.2oc with less than 1.2v/70C seems to be just a dream.

I would use better TIM. AS5 is not much better than standard Intel stuff. Actually most standard TIMs are about the same nowadays. Get something like Gelid Extreme ( available in small tubes so will be cheaper ) or liquid metal like one of these . There is Phobya version of the same product but cost up to 50% less for tube.

Temps and overclocking depend much more from CPU itself so I wouldn't count on miracles after delidding haswells.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, when I used the AS5 for the first time before my delid. I only saw 2-3C difference on stock. How much of a difference would I see using Coollaboratory TIM after delidding?

Now- I definitely see that it is the "luck" of the draw.

I saw up to 12*C on 3770K but it didn't help me to overclock that CPU higher. I didn't try on haswell as I get only bad chips so they're not worth to even try.

12C on Max Single Core Temp? If so- that's pretty darn good.
Going to order some tomorrow and read up on it. Thanks.

First build and delidding already.......Sounds like someones got the bug :p

BTW :welcome: to the forums :thup:

Haswell runs hot because the CPU does the voltage regulating now, not the motherboard. While this does in a sense allow the CPU to use power more wisely, it comes at the hefty cost of heat. Perhaps whatever next generation CPUs they end up releasing will have better voltage regulator technology that allows them to run a bit cooler? Or maybe they'll put the regulator back on the motherboard. In any case, yeah, nothing is really going to help a massive amount with Haswell heat.

Back