• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Wattage question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Friburg

Registered
Hey guys.

I have an AMD FX-4350 on it's way and like a tool I didn't think to check it's wattage against my mobos limit. Turns out my mobo can only handle up to 90W where as the CPU is 125W.

After finding this out I straight away did some checking online.

Apparently my mobo is on the list of supported mobos on most sites, some stores are selling the FX-4350 and same model mobo as mine in bundles and barebones.

Question is, if these people are selling the CPU MOBO bundle surely they work together fine, right?

My mobo is an Asus M5A78L-M LX.

I've made such a noobish move and I feel like a right tool... :chair:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Fri

I've read that it should work so long as you update the BIOS to the latest version. I don't plan on using this MOBO for long as I am wanting to upgrade soon.

-Fri

I've read that it should work so long as you update the BIOS to the latest version. I don't plan on using this MOBO for long as I am wanting to upgrade soon.

-Fri
It may work, but again, the power section is not made for it and can kill the mobo or the CPU or both (worst case). It may work, but I wouldn't do it...

It may work, but again, the power section is not made for it and can kill the mobo or the CPU or both (worst case). It may work, but I wouldn't do it...

I won't bother combining the two then. I will just wait and buy a new mobo. Might go for an MSI 990FFX-GD80 or something around that area.

-Fri

I won't bother combining the two then. I will just wait and buy a new mobo. Might go for an MSI 990FFX-GD80 or something around that area.

-Fri

MSI and the new AMD stuff don't get along well. See my suggestion above.

Hey that suggestion is a great price! I think I should actually be able to get a hold of it now. I'll have to see.

Thanks for your help!

-Fri

I ran the GA-970A-UD3 for quite a while with my FX-6300. Its THE budget board for an overclocker.

I was stable with the 6300 into the ~4.8GHz range, with a decent cooler the board should be able to push the 4350 to its limit.

I ran the GA-970A-UD3 for quite a while with my FX-6300. Its THE budget board for an overclocker.

I was stable with the 6300 into the ~4.8GHz range, with a decent cooler the board should be able to push the 4350 to its limit.

Just ordered one, thanks for the recommendation! Should be here by tomorrow!

-Fri

Back