• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Service Pack 4 custom ISO with all post-SP3 updates included

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whoever was making the unofficial Service Pack 4 ISO abandoned the project due to time constraints and said they were going to get back to it this summer [read:never :D]

It would be nice to have an all inclusive final Windows XP ISO as of today. But what is this about British and Dutch governments "paying Microsoft" to support Windows XP beyond today?

Does that mean they will have access to Windows XP security updates after today? If so, how are they going to keep those Windows XP security update files from leaking out to us?

Does that mean they will have access to Windows XP security updates after today? If so, how are they going to keep those Windows XP security update files from leaking out to us?

They won't hehehehe
At least I kinda hope not.

XP will remain on the family rig. I can't see a P4 + 1GB of RAM running Windows 7 :p

As knowledgeable as you are on XP and Windows in general, I'm surprised you don't just create the ISO yourself.

To answer that question, my organizational skill of documenting things I find out the hard way for personal use then copy-pasting them here is sometimes misconstrued as knowledge :)

There is a need for an all inclusive ISO. There is no question about that. If anyone makes it, we will have a problem of not knowing who really made it, as injecting unwanted code (malware) into the installation ISO itself is why I've never tried installing Windows versions before release dates when I could get them from Microsoft itself or from someone I trust has gotten it from Microsoft. Hashtags can be faked. There is no way to know two iso files are identical.

Sometimes, just using common sense you could tell, like whoever that guy is on the other forum, if he does it this summer, the kind of discussion they are having over there doesn't point to someone who would make a malicious ISO. But I would be weary of getting it elsewhere.

The mere fact that he has no time points to a project that is in no way simple. Double clicking on each and every single post SP3 patch is not a solution.

I would be willing to invest time yes, but I would need a tutorial of some sort, I do not know how to put together an installation that would automatically recognize which patches different systems need.

Unrelated or perhaps related to this, what do you think of news that British and Dutch governments have chosen to keep the many Windows XP machines they have in their systems and have "paid" Microsoft to extend Windows XP support for them?

They don't need Microsoft for tech support, (they could have their own in house tech support). Can that mean anything else other than paying Microsoft to write code... future security patches for Windows XP available to only them?

Last edited:
AMD Athlon XP CPU provided the biggest bang for the buck, best value to performance ratio and overclocked could beat Intel's CPUs costing many times its value. Mobile AMD Athlon XP CPUs worked in Desktops and could at the time overclock higher than anything else available.

Because of Windows XP drive images, I have one in every room of the house.

You guys gave me an idea talking about your Pentiums. I always thought that Windows 7 could not be installed on those 1GB RAM Athlon XPs. I have one that has 1.5 GB RAM. I think I will have to keep Windows XP on them but it'll make a heck of an experiment to see if Windows 7 will make a difference in getting them to display streaming TV episodes which I notice they cannot do any more.

Can your Pentiums 4s do that on Windows 7?

Whoever was making the unofficial Service Pack 4 ISO abandoned the project due to time constraints and said they were going to get back to it this summer [read:never :D]

It would be nice to have an all inclusive final Windows XP ISO as of today. But what is this about British and Dutch governments "paying Microsoft" to support Windows XP beyond today?

Microsoft has already announced it will extend support for XP to corporations. They will have to pay a fee per machine. So, updates will continue to be developed but not accessible to end users. But security updates and patches are only part of the problem. To me, just as big an issue is the fact that hardware manufacturers soon will not be offering XP drivers for new hardware products. So when your printer dies and you buy a new one . . .

So when your printer dies and you buy a new one . . .
...you'll have to make sure that it can be installed under Windows XP, still installed on one third of computers out there... ;) Or you can see if you can be creative, real life example of how it sometimes works in the other direction:

Scanner manufacturers are notorious for making sure your scanner won't work on any future operating systems you upgrade to.

For infrequent use of hardware/software, it is always a good idea to dual boot Windows XP/Windows 8 then simply reboot into Windows XP.

When Vista came out, here's how I tricked it into installing a Windows XP-only scanner. I found a similar new model then:

To install Visioneer One Touch 9020 scanner under Windows Vista or Windows 7:
1) Install Windows XP 9020 drivers.
2) Install Windows Vista drivers for 9420.
3) Plug in your scanner and manually select 9420 drivers for it.

or go to Control Panel > Device Manager, right click on the Unknown Device (it's the one with Properties > Details of USB\VID_04A7& PID...) > Update Driver Software... >
Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from the device drivers on my computer >
Next > UNCHECK: Show compatible hardware > Select Visioneer on the left side and Visioneer 9420 on the right side > Next > Yes > Close.

So, updates will continue to be developed but not accessible to end users.

Thank you. With corporations and governments having so many employees, those patches will leak out and be available unofficially.

So... this now becomes a quest for reliable sources of those Windows XP security patches in their original unaltered versions. Typing a job application for a position with the British government as we speak... :D

Last edited:
I thought I would put all that to test by installing Windows 7 on an Athlon XP CPU. I just did it 5 seconds ago, I am inside Windows 7 on a not even overclocked that much AMD Athlon XP CPU at less than 2.2GHz and with maxed out RAM at 1.5 GB. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

EDIT: There are no motherboard drivers for it for anything other than Windows 2000/XP so this should be interesting.

Last edited:
I thought I would put all that to test by installing Windows 7 on an Athlon XP CPU. I just did it 5 seconds ago, I am inside Windows 7 on a not even overclocked that much AMD Athlon XP CPU at less than 2.2GHz and with maxed out RAM at 1.5 GB. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

EDIT: There are no motherboard drivers for it for anything other than Windows 2000/XP so this should be interesting.

You might be able to get the XP drivers to work. Maybe.

I know from experience that Windows 3.1 drivers don't work in XP :p
(A shame though, I really want to use my fancy serial mouse)

You might be able to get the XP drivers to work. Maybe.

I know from experience that Windows 3.1 drivers don't work in XP :p
(A shame though, I really want to use my fancy serial mouse)

Why not cut the connector and wire in a USB connector?
Worth a shot since it isn't doing anything right now anyway.

Why not cut the connector and wire in a USB connector?
Worth a shot since it isn't doing anything right now anyway.

Nope. I contacted a fellow after I saw the same mouse on his blog.
He attempted to get it to run in XP with serial to USB adapters but no luck.

The best I got IIRC, was a command prompt and a DOS game. I ran CTmouse and the serial mouse sprung to life!

But sadly, after I exited the command prompt, no mouse in Windows.
If I can load CTmouse instead of a mouse driver, I might actually get it working.

It's a Logitech ClearCase mouse from Oct, 1987. (Special clear mouse for selling Logitech's 2 million'th mouse or something) but oddly enouhg, it only really works in Windows 98 with a Windows 3.1 mouse Systems real mode driver. :shrug:

EDIT: For reading if you want:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?3336-My-new-mouse-(Logitech-ClearCase) I contacted mbbrutman. He's the guy who tried on XP for me.

and this is a new site. I have not seen this before... http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/logitech/clearcase.shtml

Is 7 snappy to use on that Rig.

:eek:

wut? Wow I thought the P4's would choke on Win 7!!

nope, it actually runs fine. ran well with 1gb of ram, but ran a little better with 2gb. if i were you, i would use an SSD and max out the ram on your pentium 4 desktop or laptop.

during the time my core i5 desktop was down, i had used the pentum 4 to play half life and half life 2 mods, internet searching (with internet explorer :rock: because...and thats why), and i sometimes played ns2.

ran really slow on a hdd, but i put a ssd in there and 4gb of ram and the system ran a little better. just make sure all stick of ram are the same brand, speed, and voltage because when i used mixed it acted funky sometimes.

Back