• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Service Pack 4 custom ISO with all post-SP3 updates included

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea. I actually don't go beyond Service Pack 2 on really old machines on which security is not of utmost importance. I felt like SP3 made them just a tad bit slower...

It does.
While M$ says you only need 64MB of RAM to run XP SP3, I was told, (and have found it is true) to install SP3 on a machine with 2GB RAM minimum.

Looking forward to the slipsteam info :thup:
I've never done it before :)

While M$ says you only need 64MB of RAM to run XP SP3, I was told, (and have found it is true) to install SP3 on a machine with 2GB RAM minimum.
That's crap. 1 gig is fine.
FWIW, benching wise, there are benchmarks that run faster on SP3.
Think outside the box. ;)

In real life, I and others have experienced a slight slow down "you can feel" after SP3 and nothing else was installed specifically on older non-overclocked Athlon XP machines.

Faster machines - no slow down you can feel... so integrated SP4 for them all the way ;-)

I happen to have Windows XP Service Pack 1 full installation exe file downloaded more than a decade ago and it is so annoying that I am able to find full SP2 official download:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=28
But not link to official full SP1 download now.

Please post if you find it.

I need someone to test this because the official Slipstreaming info is lengthy and different and I'm not sure if I did anything wrong here, heck I might test it myself later, but here are my instructions, and if they don't work, check out the lengthy Slipstreaming guide they did here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview...&usp=sharing&tid=0B7k-l_4omFECNWRGNHBEdVBsTTA

0. SP4 Slipstreaming can only be done on media which has SP1 slipstreamed already. So we need to integrate SP1 first. Technically this should work with SP2 but I wrote instructions for SP1:

EDIT: SUCCESSFULLY TESTED AND ON SP2 to SP4, BETTER INSTRUCTIONS A COUPLE OF POSTS BELOW

How to Integrate Windows XP and Service Pack 1

1. Copy contents of original Microsoft Windows XP installation files to folder C:\WINXP
2. Copy SP1 exe file to C:\ drive and rename it to xpsp1.exe

[By the way, there were two versions of Win XP SP1. Microsoft Java Virtual Machine is removed in SP1a by court order after Sun Microsystems Inc. filed an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft. Everything else is the same.]

3. Start Menu > Run... > cmd.exe > Press ENTER >
Now type c: and then press ENTER
Keep typing
cd..
and pressing ENTER until you get to the root C:\ directory
Then type xpsp1.exe -x:c:\sp1 and then press ENTER

press ENTER when asked to Choose Directory For Extracted Files.

4. After extraction completes, Press OK then type this in the cmd window and press ENTER:
cd sp1\update

5. Finally, type this then press ENTER:
update.exe -s:c:\winxp

6. Wait until you see this message: "Integrated install has completed successfully." > OK

Contents of WINXP folder now contain non-bootable integrated (splipstreamed) Windows XP+SP1 operating system installation files.

Now we can integrate the unofficial Service Pack 4 with Windows XP+SP1 installation files.

Interestingly, unlike previous service packs, Slipstreaming of Service pack 4 *must* be done under Windows XP. If it is done under any other operating system, there will be problems with entering Windows XP product keys at time of install.

7. Copy SP4 exe file to C:\ drive and rename it to xpsp4.exe

8. Disable anti virus software or it may interrupt the integration process with false positive virus detections.

9. Start Menu > Run... > cmd.exe > Press ENTER >
Keep typing
cd..
Then type xpsp4.exe/integrate:c:\winxp and then press ENTER

Contents of WINXP folder now contain non-bootable integrated (splipstreamed) Windows XP+SP4 operating system installation files.

To make a bootable CD with integrated AHCI drivers do this:

Last edited:
Slipstreaming (integrating) Service Pack 4 with the original Windows XP installation files will create an installation which will include all Windows XP updates up to April 8, 2014 when extended support for Windows XP ended.

Certain versions of Windows XP will be supported through April of 2019, with updates applicable to all versions of Windows XP. The included Service Pack 4 enables updates to continue through April of 2019.

0. Service Pack 4 Slipstreaming can only be done if Service Pack 1 or later were slipstreamed already. So we first need to integrate SP1 or SP2 or SP3 with original installation files.

How to Integrate Windows XP and Service Pack 2

1. Copy contents of original Microsoft Windows XP installation files to folder C:\WINXP
[That means actual contents extracted from original ISO or original installation CD.]

2. Copy Service Pack 2 exe file to C:\ drive and rename it to xpsp2.exe

Service Pack 2 exe file can be downloaded from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=28

3. Start Menu > Run... > cmd.exe > Press ENTER >
Keep typing
cd..
Then type xpsp2.exe -x:c:\SP2 and then press ENTER

4. After extraction completes, Press OK then type this in the cmd window and press ENTER:
cd SP2\i386\update

5. Finally, type this then press ENTER:
update.exe -s:c:\winxp

6. Wait until you see this message: "Integrated install has completed successfully." > OK

Contents of WINXP folder now contain non-bootable integrated (splipstreamed) Windows XP+SP2 operating system installation files.

Now we can integrate the unofficial Service Pack 4 with Windows XP+SP2 installation files.

Interestingly, unlike previous service packs, Slipstreaming of Service pack 4 *must* be done under Windows XP. If it is done under any other operating system, there may be problems with entering Windows XP product keys at time of install.

7. Copy SP4 exe file to C:\ drive and rename it to xpsp4.exe

8. *** !!! Disable anti virus software or it may interrupt the integration process with false positive virus detections. !!! ***

9. Start Menu > Run... > cmd.exe > Press ENTER >
Keep typing
cd..
Then type xpsp4.exe/integrate:c:\winxp and then press ENTER

Contents of WinXP folder now contain non-bootable integrated (splipstreamed) Windows XP+SP4 operating system installation files.

To make a bootable ISO with integrated AHCI drivers [which allow Windows XP to be installed on more motherboard chipsets released after Windows XP was released], see attachments BootableISO.zip and AHCI.zip below.

To make a bootable USB, download WinToFlash: http://wintoflash.com/download/en/

Double click on WinToFlash.exe to start the program.
[By the way, if the program is blocked from accessing the internet - IT WILL STILL WORK ;)]

!!! IMPORTANT !!! :
When booting from USB, on the boot menu,
SELECT: 1st, text mode setup

But after initial Windows XP Setup files are copied and the installation process starts and asks you to reboot, so *after* the first reboot,
SELECT: 2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup, + 1st start of Windows

Attachments

• BootableISO.zip
    631.5 KB · Views: 208
  • AHCI.zip
    200.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
After initial installation completes, it will say Service Pack 3:

WinXPSP3.png

However, all the updates until End Of Life April 2014 are installed, including Internet Explorer 8.

This is how much space it took:

WinXPSP4Space.png

Windows Update first asks for Validation, as it does for ordinary Windows XP installations:

Validation.png

Once that is taken care of, Windows Update then offers updates starting from May 2014 to present. Updates will be available until 2019.

Attachments

• WinXPUpdated.png
    WinXPUpdated.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 3,430
Last edited:
Is there a way to get the latest updates for XP without installing this pack I have 2 friend who won't upgrade to Windows 7 and don't get anymore updates there not very tech savy so anything like this they can't do and never want me to do it for them is there a reg entry change or something that will make WU download them all.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get the latest updates for XP without installing this pack I have 2 friend who won't upgrade to Windows 7 and don't get anymore updates there not very tech savy so anything like this they can't do and never want me to do it for them is there a reg entry change or something that will make WU download them all.

Yes. Double click on the Reg file inside the attached zipped file > Yes.

Attachments

• WindowsXPUpdatesExtensionUntil2019.zip
    315 bytes · Views: 236
C627627 I have read this whole thread and sounds like there has been major progress.....is this a complete xp pro disk with all the updates that i can do a fresh install with? I am having major installer issues as well as computer not seeing my printer etc.
I recently moved to colorado and cant find my xp cd and dont want to use any of the new os's MS should have left well enough alone with xp but $$$ cant ever get enough i guess.
or perhaps you can point me in the right direction
my first post and thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.
Yes, we now have a way to install Windows XP SP3 + all post SP3 updates together at once. and then after that to enable Windows XP to receive new security updates until 2019.

You will need the Windows XP CD or Windows XP iso so that you can integrate the unofficial Service pack 4 with the original installation media.

There are also ways to (quickly) modify Windows 8/10 to look like Windows XP and remove most things that make you say "MS should have left well enough alone with xp " - a lot of stuff can be modified in Windows 8/10. Best thing to do is install a Windows XP / Windows 8-10 dual boot if you can.

thanks for the welcome, thats awesome! 2019! sweet.
is there a place to download all that i need to do this? I have a VERY slow connection so will probably take me a while to dl it. im not the most savvy guy where this stuff is concerned but savvy enough to get into trouble lol, so please bear with me.
I do have a dual boot system with ubuntu, when they said they were not going to support xp anymore i explored Linux a bit.
I have two hard drives so backing everything up will be no problem. if you need anything from me...hardware or what ever i will get it for you.

thanks for all you and others hard work on this, hopefully i can pay it forward to others that haven't found this site.

I don't know where you can download original Windows XP media legitimately, but I've posted links in this thread to service packs that integrate with original Windows XP installation media.

But yes, you need to have Windows XP installation files to work with. I have free Google Fiber internet service with extremely slow upload speeds, I have a 5 Mbps download but less than a 1 Mbps upload connection... it would take forever for me to upload anything of that size... US Mail would literally be faster, lol.

lol, im lucky to get 24mbps down, its cause for celebration lol.
I do have an xp disk. its not the one that i have in my machine tho, is that ok?

If you have a Microsoft Windows XP disc then you can work with it. First integrate it with Service Pack 1 or 2 or whatever my instructions above say...
If you have a machine image disc made by a company like hp or dell or whatever then that won't work. Only Microsoft Windows XP CD will work.

Last edited:
There are Dell Windows disks, then there are Dell re-install disks. I have used Dell Windows disks to install on non-Dell machines - OEMs like Acer & HP, as well as custom built with Asus or Abit motherboards.

There are Dell Windows disks, then there are Dell re-install disks. I have used Dell Windows disks to install on non-Dell machines - OEMs like Acer & HP, as well as custom built with Asus or Abit motherboards.

I should have spoken more carefully :) I meant the OEM Windows disks. I know they will install on different motherboards, but I think there is an issue with slipstreaming these disks. I'm not sure though, it just seemed to be what Mr c627627 was getting at. While Ive never specifcally read anything that says these disks cant be slipstreamed, it has always been a strong suspicion of mine.

Back