• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x1300 Pro Noob Vmod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Since I'm bored, I bow before the great and mighty benchmark team.

Now I'm not about to throw my 670 under the soldering iron bus just yet, mainly because I don't want to spend $$$ on a new one and not about to fall back on my 5850. But what I do have is something I am willing to put under the iron.

A year or two ago I needed a cheapo graphics card to test a motherboard, so I picked up an unknown refurbished ATI card from Microcenter. All I knew was that it was low profile and $5. Well, turns out it was a 256MB X1300 Pro, but the more important part is I no longer need it, so might as well try and get in some soldering practice while also curing my boredom.

So what my problem is I can't find any guides for the low profile version. I found a guide for the full height card here, that centers around two ICs, a RT9232 and a RT2392A. I can't see either of those, but on the back of the card I do see a RT2392B:

44XvO2b.jpg

R610 for the pencil mod is right next to it, so am I right in assuming that's what the guide is referring to for Vgpu? (I plan on doing this right, not pencil modded, just using that as a reference). Or should I be looking around elsewhere?

Full pic of back of card:

xopN9EU.jpg

The controller you are pointing to in the pic says RT9232B that is for gpu
You need to take a picture of the front of the card with the cooler off I don't see a controller for the memory on the back of the card
You also should first see if you can find 3rd party software that you can overclock that card with low profile cards can be a PITA to overclock specially in Win7 i doubt when you install ATI CCC that you will have the option to overclock you would need to try ATI Tool or GPU Tool

Yeah, I figured that was for the GPU. Pulled the heatsink off, not many ICs under it near the RAM, I don't know how close it has to be. Well, one, but it looks too small to be a memory controller (Part name looks to be 431L, component REG951. Some sort of register?)

YA1jwDp.jpg

As for programs, I've seen several reports of people actually getting Ati Tray Tools working under W7 with these cards. If not, I actually have an old desktop running XP.

The RT9232B is your core voltage controller. Where the memory voltage controller is I'm not sure, I suspect it's the tiny tiny six pin chip on the top edge of the card near the RAM. Have fun with that one! :D The RT9232 is much more solderable, I'd start there.

Grab your ohm meter and check the resistance between this pin and ground (the metal shield on the VGA/DVI/whatever connectors is a lovely ground source to measure to):

fb pin.png

Then follow this really huge link that probably won't work and buy a couple trimmers (15+ turn variable resistors) that that have a resistance value 12x-20x what you measured.

Once you've reached that point, report back in for further instructions :D

Don't know where the pencil-able resistors are, they aren't immediately apparent.

Alright, the feedback pin to ground measures 137 ohms. I do have a couple variable resistors. The closest that match that magic 1.5KOhm to 2.7KOhm number are a 1KOhm and 5KOhm, but I'll order a 2KOhm one since they are nowhere near accurate enough - I'm talking like 3/4 of a turn. Need some other things off digikey anyway.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back when they come in :salute:

freakdiablo can you take you take a better pic of the 431L IC looks like it might only have 5 legs coming off that chip

Can you tell if the middle pin above the 3 is different form the rest or is coming out of the chip at a lower point then then the rest it just looks different form the rest but it could just be the flash on the camera that is throwing me off

Looks like you're right, it is a 5 pin chip. There's a solder joint in that middle slot that looks like there should be a pin, but there isn't one and no sign it broke off.

DaJkS43.jpg

May I ask what you plan to do with this card? Just for soldering practice?

I ask becasue I have the AGP version of the x1300 in my drawer. (artifacts like no tomorrow though :( )

Yeah, 75% soldering practice 25% boredom. Might as well practice on the $5 card I already have and don't care about over running out and spending $30-$40 on one of those solder practicing kits that you see online :D

Couldn't find that exact voltage controller so I look at a bunch of different 5 pin controllers they are basically the same.I am 99% it will work never seen that kind of controller on any of the cards I volt modding so it will be up to you to confirm that it works:D do the same as the other controller measure FB to GND the green points are solder points for the VR which ever one you find easier

EDIT-removed pic for wrong pin out

Last edited:
Thanks. Just spent the past few minutes trying to get a read on these pins since the leads on my multimeter are several times larger than the pins on this chip. The only readings that are consistent are 0 ohms for FB, which doesn't make sense since it looks like it's in series with that resistor, 0 ohms from the edge of the resistor itself, and 379 ohms for the one directly across from it (the sense pin). The ground pin wasn't even registering. I'll give it another shot in the morning, maybe I can rig something up with a smaller gauge wire so I can make sure I'm hitting those pins and only those pins.

Edit: just looked around and all I can find is that it's an "adjustable precision shunt regulator", this being the only data sheet I can find for that exact model number (431L) but it doesn't show the pin out of a 5 pin package. The only one I found in the 5 pin package was this one from TI. I'm getting that same 379 ohm/380 ohm reading from the "reference" pin in the data sheet (the one you have labeled Vout). Could that be what I'm looking for, or I'm just going backwards here?

Last edited:
Looks like I was wrong to think all 5 pin voltage reg. were basically the same look at the TL431 shunt reg. you linked and some others they seem to have the same pin outs at least the ones I saw that basically leaves pin-1 since I dropped the ball on my first attempted not going to say that it is the voltage feedback But if it was my card and it lived through my first mistake I would give it a shot

All most temped to go on Ebay and get one of these cards my self and try it so i can get this darn shunt regulator out my head :)

Attachments

• shuntreg.JPG
    shuntreg.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 310
Ok, so would it be the same as the VGPU regulator, trimpot 12x to 20x the measured resistance (380 ohm, since it's a nice pretty number, so pick up a couple 5k trimpots from digikey) and soldered to ground? Remember, I'm willing to fry this card so you don't have to :D

Ok, so would it be the same as the VGPU regulator, trimpot 12x to 20x the measured resistance (380 ohm, since it's a nice pretty number, so pick up a couple 5k trimpots from digikey) and soldered to ground? Remember, I'm willing to fry this card so you don't have to :D

correct pin 1 to ground now you need to find the voltage read points be back a little later with some possibilities

Thanks. So I take it I can't just measure the voltage coming out of Vout, or does it pass through some sort of amp which I should be looking for?

(Just realized searching for x1300 voltage reading won't be too much help, because this thread is the first hit :D Hi mom!)

Thanks. So I take it I can't just measure the voltage coming out of Vout, or does it pass through some sort of amp which I should be looking for?

(Just realized searching for x1300 voltage reading won't be too much help, because this thread is the first hit :D Hi mom!)

Did you fry it yet :p

Here, I found this in a google search: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7654257 :D

Maybe this will help: http://www.overclock.net/t/908570/x1300-and-non-ref-5870-v-mod/10

Silver_Pharaoh thats for full size card only thing that is the same is GPU voltage controller

This is the closer to your card http://www.overclock.net/t/671512/ati-radeon-x1300-pro-volt-mod Last pic in first post you can test those read points for GPU but it would be easier to find something on the back of the card and not under the cooler

First pic test for GPU read point should be around 1.3 volts, Second pic memory read point should around 1.9 guess solder a wire on before you put the cooler back on so you can test and know what the starting voltage is

Attachments

• readpioints.JPG
    readpioints.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 299
  • readpioints2.JPG
    readpioints2.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Back