• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS RMA on my Maximus IV Gene-Z - Not going to debug because of small 'customer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you ever flashed the BIOS on that board before? Doesn't sound like you're familiar with the process.

No I've never tried it. Perhaps you can walk me through in a little more detail?

btw, I can hold del but it won't go into bios setup.

You don't actually hold the delete key down, you press it repetitively as the system boots. If that doesn't get you into BIOS, then try removing the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes. Reinstall the battery and try getting into BIOS again. Also, what operating system are you using?

i'm using windows 7 64 bit. I tried shutting down the computer, taking the battery out, holding down the CMOS clear button, pressing the reset, and putting the battery back in, and turned on power supply, still didn't work.

Unfortunately, you need to be able to get into BIOS to flash it. Your best bet at this point is to try and get a pre-programmed replacement BIOS chip and see if that works. If it doesn't then I'd say the motherboard is bad.

One other thing you could try is disconnecting anything not essential for a boot up. Just one stick of mem, the vid card, CPU & Fan, and the PSU is all you need. Of course you'll also need the keyboard to try and get into BIOS. If that don't work, get a BIOS chip or replace the board.

Use ROG Connect to flash the BIOS. It doesn't even require the motherboard to POST in order to flash it.

I was going to tell him the same thing Ed, but I don't think that board supports USB FlashBack. It has the ROG Connect button, but It's for other things not related to flashing the BIOS.

you know bobnova, i was thinking the same thing. i remmeber using their socket 370 and socket 478 boards. always ended up breaking down later on.

asrock and intel boards seem to be the only ones that run good for me. im assuming msi would do the same seeing how their graphics cards have been working great for me in life span and stability. quality is obviously good on the intel, msi, and asrock boards that i have used.

also, asrock is back on my list. the current asrock board i have, the Asrock Extreme4 z77, has redeemed itself. still watching it though.

-anyway-

vincetallica, have you made any progress with the bios recovery methods? whats your current status right now?

Last edited:
Yeah, so I tried to CMOS clear, tried to flash BIOS (there's no BIOS refresh button on the maximus iv gene-z board) and fixing the trace the issue still remains. I'm really out of clue as of how to debug this. Seems like my current options are: 1. order a BIOS chip for this motherboard ($13 plus shipping is probably $25?) or just get a new mother board at $70...

That sucks OP. Hope you can get it figured out. Being without the backbone of your computer for any amount of time sucks...

I just RMAd my motherboard with ASUS but I inspected it thoroughly beforehand and there was no damage on mine that didn't come from the factory anyway. Currently says it's "repaired, packaged, and ready to ship."

I guess they are just super picky about what boards they repair.

BTW, the traces cut were supposedly deep. I got it soldered back now.

This is what I'm curious about. Repairing traces is no easy task for a novice.. how exactly did you go about this?

In any event, it's certainly frustrating that they won't warranty the board, but it's entirely understandable. I'd be irritated if it were me, but they're not in the wrong.. just sticking to their policy.

You could try replacing the bios chip if you're comfortable with that and the price is right. If that doesn't solve your issues, I'd cut my losses, sell the board as-is, and buy a new one.. you'll probably only be out a little bit of money, and you'll save yourself a good amount of frustration.

I had a horrible RMA with an ASUS motherboard. I had to RMA it 5 times before I contacted the RMA office in Northern Cali which is the international RMA. The midwest RMA location sucked A$$. I knew a guy who did 8 or 9 RMA just to get this fixed. And I actually gave him the contact info I had from the N. Cali RMA office.

I will never buy another ASUS mobo every because of that experience.

Note to everyone who RMA's.

Take a lot of detailed pictures of the motherboard before sending out. If you have a DSLR use it or borrow one. Also take a picture of your packaging. Asus try to get me on this BS but I always cover my A$$ and simply send them a link it all the pics with time and date I took the pics. The couldnt say $hit!!

That my ASUS story for you guys.

Back