• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Access 97 database conversions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
HELP!!

I'm so sick and tired of messing with something I know very little about.
We have a bunch of Access 97 DBs at my job and we are forcing users onto Access 2010. FYI, there is a system.mda file on a network share that defines security/workgroups.

We want to completely remove user security (whatever it takes) and we will leverage security groups and NTFS for security.

Our issues, so far:
1. If I try to open an Access 97 DB in Access 2010 (with the upgrade flag/prompt turned off via registry), most DBs open but no design changes can be done. Some
2. If user security is used, I can't seem to get around it.

I don't know Access. All I have is technical common sense, and it's not getting me too far. I don't have the time to REALLY dive deep, so I'm hoping someone here has some advice.

I have all versions of Access available to me on Windows XP or Windows 7. I am the virtual desktop manager so I can spin up VMs as I please to play with.

I knew that no one would want to view this thread haha. I HATE ACCESS!!!

The end result is User-Security is a PITA. So what I've been doing is manually converting ODBC connections from Sybase 11 and an older version of Oracle to Windows 7 ODBC connections (32-bit and 64-bit). What's weird is the 32-bit ODBC driver points to the system32 (64-bit) folder. I have to change the pointer to the 32-bit (wow64node) driver. It's weird, but it works.

With all of the ODBC connections ready, I've been able to manually import items. I've been setting up blank ACCDB databases and importing with the External Link ribbon. Best case scenario, you choose the Access icon, choose the old 97-built MDB, and import all (which doesn't work, since these DBs are so old and dirty, with dozens of unused items that have admins/owners who've left the firm). Instead, I've been able to import the items that a user wants. When they want a query imported, we test run it and notice that tables are missing. So... I open up the Access 97 DB in Access 97 (on Win XP), go to design view, and follow the diagram to find all the tables that are linked to that query. I then go back to 2010, and import the necessary tables, ensuring my ODBC connections are functional.

Now, here's when it sucks... User-Security!! When it tells me the user isn't authorized to import from an Access DB, the only other option is the crappy option... building the Access DB all over again. This can be done, but all ODBC connections need to be imported separately, so in the External Link ribbon you choose ODBC > Import, find the right ODBC connection, then find the item(s) you want. The problem with this is we have dozens of ODBC connections and I don't know where the items reside.

The good news is I can still open the Access 97 DB in Access 97, but in properties or design view of a particular Query doesn't tell me which ODBC connection it came from. :(

My next move is to see if I can import from the secured Access 97 DB (via Access 97 + Win XP) into a new, unsecured Access 97 DB. If that works, then I can go back to my first steps of importing the new 97 DB into the 2010 ACCDB file via the External Links.

The end result is User-Security is a PITA. So what I've been doing is manually converting ODBC connections from Sybase 11 and an older version of Oracle to Windows 7 ODBC connections (32-bit and 64-bit). What's weird is the 32-bit ODBC driver points to the system32 (64-bit) folder. I have to change the pointer to the 32-bit (wow64node) driver. It's weird, but it works.

With all of the ODBC connections ready, I've been able to manually import items. I've been setting up blank ACCDB databases and importing with the External Link ribbon. Best case scenario, you choose the Access icon, choose the old 97-built MDB, and import all (which doesn't work, since these DBs are so old and dirty, with dozens of unused items that have admins/owners who've left the firm). Instead, I've been able to import the items that a user wants. When they want a query imported, we test run it and notice that tables are missing. So... I open up the Access 97 DB in Access 97 (on Win XP), go to design view, and follow the diagram to find all the tables that are linked to that query. I then go back to 2010, and import the necessary tables, ensuring my ODBC connections are functional.

Now, here's when it sucks... User-Security!! When it tells me the user isn't authorized to import from an Access DB, the only other option is the crappy option... building the Access DB all over again. This can be done, but all ODBC connections need to be imported separately, so in the External Link ribbon you choose ODBC > Import, find the right ODBC connection, then find the item(s) you want. The problem with this is we have dozens of ODBC connections and I don't know where the items reside.

The good news is I can still open the Access 97 DB in Access 97, but in properties or design view of a particular Query doesn't tell me which ODBC connection it came from. :(

My next move is to see if I can import from the secured Access 97 DB (via Access 97 + Win XP) into a new, unsecured Access 97 DB. If that works, then I can go back to my first steps of importing the new 97 DB into the 2010 ACCDB file via the External Links.

Wow, that's a lot of work for an old DB man...
At least you are getting somewhere right? :)

Hopefully it wall works out for you in the end!

It's not working... I am so far still unable to secure the original 97 DB. If I could unsecure it, this entire migration would be MUCH simpler. Do any of you know of any 3rd party apps? If they're not extremely expensive, I should be able to convince my boss to purchase it, as it would save me time and get me back to focusing on my real purpose here, which is VDI!

Does anyone even know on how to crack the security on a DB built in Access 97? My job would allow me to use such a utility, if a good/legit one out there exists. Anyone use one before they'd recommend?

Kinda odd you can't do the import .. I've had that work in the past as well. I haven't dealt with 97 in a few years though unfortunately. User level security isn't a tough nut either.. pretty sure you could put together a VB app to find it.

Unfortunately there are tons of apps out there for this, but its like trial and error.. if you got a spare box to download the free apps to to test against the db you might find one that works.. course you could get bloat/malware etc..

Check this out too.. from M$ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163002

Last edited:
Back