• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI R9 290X Lightning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGoat Eater

Registered
Some HW picture pr0n for you :p - I am going to be testing the 290X Lightning here over the next few weeks :) . I have taken some photos for you to oogle in the meantime :p

IMGUR Album

Going to be taking this slowly over the coming weeks to limit my stress that I get from testing ( trying to take it easier for my health :/ - no more hours of testing at the computers for me :'( )

Right with you Ill be running one tomorrow 4930K on LN2 card straight up just OC Air for now maybe LN2 next week.

GL

I have two of them order and expect them to arrive on Monday. I'm building a new 4K gaming system around them.

Boy, you guys are lucky. Your cards basically matches a GTX 780 Ti but with a much more powerful Compute engine. I'm an NVidia user but I'm really interested in your benchmark results. Can't wait!:drool:

Update will have a second card :) starting some testing on LN2 this weekend with a 4930K and some 2400 Mem. Did some air runs not to bad.

We were having some issues and I found that 13.12 is the best driver out there - the betas seem to be way too buggy at the moment. Testing at stock full load w/ mining and I am not even breaking 67C and everything is staying very cool after 36 hours. Damn good cooling setup on the card

I just got both of my cards up and running in Crossfire. It took me a while to get around to it because I was battling some stability issues with my new Gigabyte Z87X-UD7 TH motherboard. But I think I have everything ironed out.

MSI_Lightning.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture. The camera in my phone isn't very good, and the photographer isn't much better.

I'll be doing some gaming with TitanFall, Battlefield 4, and Crysis 3 over the next few days. I also plan push the overclock and do some benchmarking, but that is probably a couple of weeks down the road. I want to make sure the system is stable with factory-set clocks and voltages first.

Right now I am using the Catalyst 14.3 beta driver. If I run into a lot of issues then I am prepared to roll the driver back to 13.12.

I did a brief play test of Borderlands 2 with maxed settings for about 30 minutes and everything looked sweet.

Last edited:
Back