• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying decision - i5-4670k or i7-4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fsab

Hey,

My first post here, seems like a great forum :D

I was wondering if I could tap into all of your vast expertise about which CPU would be best to buy!

I want to build a gaming PC but I'm torn between two processors, the i5-4670k or the i7-4770k. I've been looking over this comparison here, and it seems the 4770k is way better in just every aspect - benchmarks, clock speed, cache etc.

My friend was telling me though that there is not actually much difference between the two when playing games, and that it's not worth the extra money for the 4770k.

Is that true? If so, maybe I should just get the 4670k and save a bit of cash if there's not much performance difference between the two.

Thanks in advance :)

Do you do anything besides gaming?
If no, get the 4670K.
If yes, what do you do?

fsab, Welcome to the forum.

The comparison you posted is mainly multi threaded benchmarks which will utilize the Hyper-threading of the 4770k, therefore yes it will outperform it. For gaming it will depend on the games you play. If the game will take advantage of the Hyper-Threading then yes the 4770k will be the better performer. In most cases the 4670k will be on par with the 4770k. If you want to save the cash it is the better buy. Here is a comparison of Cpu's in BF4 to give you an idea. They do not have the 4670k listed but it's a slightly better chip then the 3570k. In BF4 there is no difference in FPS between the 4770k and the 3570k. For gaming in most cases you're much better off spending more money on a Gpu then the Cpu, depending on what resolutions you play.

Sorry I was a bit slow to reply. Mainly just gaming but I do use Photoshop sometimes.

The 4670k sounds good then. Thanks for the help :)

I would say go with the i5 4670k instead of the i7 4770k & put the savings toward a better GPU.

Are you in the US & anywhere close to a Microcenter? The 4670k is $189.99 vs the 4770 at $269.99 in store only prices.

Back