• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin exchange rate discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Coinbase has it just shy of $795 this morning and it seems like it's been sitting there for a week or so. Just wondering if it might be worth getting back into. How's the difficulties on the alt coins right now?

I still don't think gpu mining is worth it....it's not the value anymore so much as it is the difficulty due to all the asics.

Cpu mining I'm not sure was ever worth it? Not sure about hdd mining. I've been out for almost 3 years... I'm certain people will fill in the blanks.

I recently was checking out some ASIC machines to see how well they would earn relative to their cost. This was when it was around $600. It looked like they would pay for themselves over 7-8 months, depending on your cost for electricity. The machines weren't all that expensive though, so they weren't going to be paying out a lot per month even when they were paid for. And they have a limited life. It wasn't enough to tempt me back into mining, but I may look at it again.

Hope that helps.

I think classic etherum is the best bet for GPU mining blay. Last time i checked mind you...

I might see if its worth mining again too. Ill bet there has been some improvements made to cgminer and cudaminer

I think Oaklahoma_Wolf still mines. He would be the best one to ask about GPU mining i think.

Zcash is still slightly the most profitable, but not a coin I'd want to hold. ETC is 2nd most profitable but I don't understand it all, I don't think that coin has any developers. ETH probably has the most potential of any coin and is just under ZEC profitability, with monero not too far behind ETH. Earnings are not huge, about $1.00/day on a 290. CPU mining on Monero is not bad, you need 2nd gen or later i5 or i7 to get good numbers (CPUs with AES-NI). Storj is interesting and profitable for HDD mining, but I have a data cap on my internet so I haven't tried it.

Coinbase has it just shy of $795 this morning and it seems like it's been sitting there for a week or so. Just wondering if it might be worth getting back into. How's the difficulties on the alt coins right now?

Two days later it is now up to $860. I think I might need to buy an ASIC at this rate.

Daddy likes.

I might just start buying and selling. Will be loads easier and save me a bunch of time with the same or better gains.

For giggles, I setup some monero mining on 2 CPUs and 2 GPUs (6700K and 6950X @ 4.2GHz / GTX 1070 and GTX 1080).

At $800 and the cost of electricity, with that mining, I would make $20 /month net profit. That is about 1.3 Kh/s and 400W. Needles to say, I shut it all down after I saw the numbers.

If I had to throw some money on bitcoin, I'd just invest a few grands in some coins and wait for the value to raise: not worth the hassle anymore of mining for such a little ROI.

My take exactly.

I think monero is an asic resistant coin(?), so not sure that can happen to make it worth it. Also, as was the case, the amd cards crunch more (290x was same hasy rate as my 1080) but use more power as well. Clearly I'm not the most efficient I cod be, but, I still don't see the point unless you invested and flipped it.

Zcash is still slightly the most profitable, but not a coin I'd want to hold.

I'm thinking about mining a pittance to hold, but the way that coin launched left me distinctly unimpressed. Not too many people were able to mine it at launch - friends of mine cleaned up that first day, but I barely got anything out of it. Is there even a Windows wallet yet? I know they haven't fixed the Z address bugs yet. Very, very underwhelmed.

Otherwise ZEC/ZClassic and XMR are about dead even for mining profitability now. Not sure if I'd be mining either if I was paying for power. My savings are in ETH and XMR... cashed out a bunch of the latter so I could afford my new camera, now I'm trying to mine that back.

Probably won't be mining ETH again. I have too many 3GB Tahitis, and they don't mine well with ETH. They work fine for everything else, though.

It has since dropped back down, but it was over $1000 today.

Edit: up again around 1013 according to my widget.

Took a look at the Antminer S9. Looks like about $2400 for the unit. And at current hash rates, and a $0.10/KWh power cost, it pays for itself in about 10 months. If you can get free electricity, maybe about 7 months.

With the increases in difficulty, if the price remains flat, you're looking at about a year to pay it off.

It does look like, based on my searching that some people buy current, mine a few months and then try and make their profit by selling the unit at high enough percentage of the new price.

Tempted, but only if I can get free power.

Last edited:
Topped out around $1120 yesterday according to what I saw. But it is back down around $980 this morning. I expect there was some profit-taking as it came close to hitting its old high.

How, and why do bitcoins have value? What is it computing for the payout? I've never understood the whole mining thing. :(

How, and why do bitcoins have value? What is it computing for the payout? I've never understood the whole mining thing. :(

Google has many very good explanations on it. Here's my favorite explanation.

The value, in a nut shell is based off the institutions that buy and sell. If they sell the value to high people will sell to them. If they set the value to low people will buy from them. The key, like gas prices, is for them to maximize their profit. The major players are scrolling at the top of this site.

Back