• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running ethernet in the house

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I am tired of wireless just not working at random so i'm going to run the wires for networking here soon, already have the spool, clamp tool and ends I just need to do it.

I have one question though...

when I run it should I run it up over the top through the attic or down under in the crawl space?

That would be your choice. There really isn't a 'best practice'. Whatever is easiest would be the way I would do it...

Whichever is easier/shorter would be my pick.
Probably crawl space so you can come up through the floor instead of dropping down from the ceiling with cables.

+1 i been running mine through the attic because its hard to find walls from underneath but i wear a tyvek suit and a filtered respirator not the cheap filter cup pos's that block almost nothing, the good ones with a rubber mask and actual filters :) the pair of them cost no more than 20 bucks online i also use them for under the house then i usually throw the suit away and get a new one just because they are cheap. plus my switch is most likely going in the attic once i finish the house, though not sure.

I've done mine in the ceiling.
Mostly because our block is solid concrete and at ground level.
In fact - all because the block is concrete.

I'd rather do it underneath though - much easier when you don't have to balance on beams to run your cables. The other advantage is you can make the holes first and shove yellow tongue downward which makes it VERY easy to locate the correct areas. MUCH harder to do that UP a wall.

yea I don't have any fiber glass in the attic either but there are mountains of blown in cotton....

hmm I guess i'll go up top because I was planning on mounting the switch/modem/routers up on the underside of a loft thing in the garage and the entrance to the attic is right there, plus it'll give me a chance to put some boards up there and level out all that insulation, they apparently blew it in and left which kind of concerns me....electrical and all...

wonder what boards I can get for cheap to toss up there...

When I first bought the house I'm in now, I wired all LAN, Phone, Cable TV, Satellite TV from the attic down the walls. The best tool for fishing the wires down the wall is....

5374462.jpg

Makes running the wires down the wall a piece of cake.

Have fun, I know I did!

You fish the line down the dead space between the studs to the hole you've made in the wall where you intend to install the connector box; once the line is through, attach your data cable and pull it back up through to the attic.

If you are going to go in the walls I wouldn't recommend a fish tape like pictured. They are a pain in the ***, depending on the amount ant type of insulation in the walls it will coil up and is just a real pita.

You can get a set of glow fish rod for about $50, its bendable but very rigid and straight, makes going through walls very easy, and it can push its way through insulation with ease.

If you are going to go in the walls I wouldn't recommend a fish tape like pictured. They are a pain in the ***, depending on the amount ant type of insulation in the walls it will coil up and is just a real pita.

You can get a set of glow fish rod for about $50, its bendable but very rigid and straight, makes going through walls very easy, and it can push its way through insulation with ease.

Most interior wall don't have insulation though, only exterior walls do. In some cases you'll find insulation inside interior wall, but it's a rarity.

When I first bought the house I'm in now, I wired all LAN, Phone, Cable TV, Satellite TV from the attic down the walls. The best tool for fishing the wires down the wall is....

5374462.jpg

Makes running the wires down the wall a piece of cake.

Have fun, I know I did!

oh my god i used that before! it was a lot of fun!! :D

how the heck does that thingy work?

attach your ethernet cable to the end of the line where it looks like a clip and then "fish" it through your walls and/or ceilings. very handy but can become a slight pain if the spot your trying to reach is too far.

file_1_33.jpg

This is the stuff I use.
Same idea as the fishing hook. It has the advantage of being flouro so when you shine a light on it in the dark it's easier to see (And inside the walls for a top-down scenario)

All in all - does the same job. Something solid you can pull a cable through with.

I'd say go crawl space, after all your towers, tv's and consoles aren't on the roof there closure to the floor (plus you can hide the wires behind furniture).

I'd say go crawl space, after all your towers, tv's and consoles aren't on the roof there closure to the floor (plus you can hide the wires behind furniture).

+1

That way you won't have wires dangling from the ceiling lol. :p

Niku-Sama, will you post some pictures or a video on what it looks like when your all done setting this up? i always wanted to setup something like this and would like to know what it looks like in the end.

Back