• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel burn test vs Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh474

Registered
ok so what do people think is the best stress tester?? iv used both one think iv noticed is that intel gets my CPU hotter by about 4-5c just wanted to know what every one else thinks also so what other stress testing software do people use am i missing out on something??

I use AIDA64 stress test these days...

IBT = overkill to me (if my PC doesn't hit P95 temps, why would I use something 'worse'?)
P95 = fine, but I prefer AIDA64.

I use Prime95 I feel it's a program to find prime numbers and test my CPU at the same time, so it should work fine.:cool::popcorn:

I don't like the 30-day trial of AIDA64.

Last edited:
I don't really like to waste time on long stability tests. Lately I run HyperPi32M 1-2 times and if it's passing without issues then I just use my PC. If I see any errors ( I rarely do ) then I back to settings and additional tests.

IBT is testing CPU in similar way as Prime95 or AIDA. Just different packages for testing. On new platforms it should use AVX and test also memory controller etc and that's all.

no heard of HyperPi32M ill have to try it out but as you say p95 only test CPU i like to think that really all parts of the PC should be tested at the same time eg RAM GPU CPU and see if they all run fine together

just found another one anyone heard of PassMark?? im looking about tonight for new ideas

I don't really like to waste time on long stability tests. Lately I run HyperPi32M 1-2 times and if it's passing without issues then

That's why I use Linpack. Just run it with the default amount of runs. It won't be longer than about 30 minutes. Possibly as short as about 15 minutes.

Otherwise, it can be a needle in a haystack to track down what's causing random Windows errors.....

If you ignore my suggestions, you risk a corrupted Windows installation. And possibly penalties from Microsoft.....

I have never seen or heard of that happening (windows deactivating itself). If it does actually happen, which I don't buy, it's a simple reactivation via phone.

This is not something I would worry about/consider personally. :)

System will "deactivate" when you change some key hardware parts. Usually it's only motherboard. Sometimes it can happen when you reset BIOS , forget to change date and later you run some updates or other MS stuff. But that happened to me only with MS Office.
No matter what will happen, MS is not checking if system is legal or not and won't register that anywhere.
Retail = BOX/OEM versions have limited activations - usually 5. After it ends then you can still call MS and tell them what happened and they will give you activation code. Even when you change motherboard and you have OEM software then you can simply tell them that board burned or something like that and they will also reactivate it.
I don't know how it's in the US right now but in Poland when you call MS license/activation department then you don't even talk with real person but with automatic system where you only pick 2-3 options and later it will or give you code to activate or connect with MS employee.

Going back to test software. I'm using HyperPi 32M as it's faster finding memory/IMC errors than any Linpack based soft or Prime95. IBT is sometimes not finding errors but HyperPi will still crash. No matter what you pick , it's good to check it with some other soft too. Games are pretty good to test too if you like to play some instead of looking at progress bar :)

Last edited:
I want a system that's rock solid rather than get the highest possible performance. Since I run Linux my choices for stability tests are limited. I also found that passing one specific test was no guarantee of stability. It's been a while but IIRC I used Prime95 and was satisfied when it ran over 24 hours w/out difficulty. Then I switched to Rosetta and found that the system was still not stable.

Different programs exercise different instruction sequences and if you really want to be sure the system is stable, I think you need to run a series of programs.

P95 and AIDA have been updated to utilize the latest instruction sets. Not sure about IBT/Linx/Linpack...

ye linpack should think it dose a good job for £499 or am i looking at the wrong thing

Retail = BOX/OEM versions have limited activations - usually 5. After it ends then you can still call MS and tell them what happened and they will give you activation code.

I remember estimating it being 6 times total and punished for reinstalling more than 5 times.

So just found a program called Futuremark any words on that

Back