• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer loads up quick but windows taking forever.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

The initial PC load is quick, but for some reason some programs and the start screen has been taking 3-4 min. to load. I just wiped my hard drive due to a virus. I accidently got some malware when installing yahoo messenger, but I deleted it with malwarebytes and ccleaner. Still the load is very slow considering I use an ssd for windows, yahoo messenger, Kaspersky, and a few other quick loads (or so should be). Should I wipe the drives and start AGAIN or is there something else I can do? Thanks all.

Last edited:
Check out what Services you have set up to start when you boot, along with background programs such as virus protection, scanning, backups, things that can bog down your load time. There will be some system usage info for each service and program that will give you an idea of where the holdup lies.

I checked my ccleaner and msconfig and there is nothing on startup that shouldn't be there. I have had many more programs installed in the past and it's never done this.

try disabling everything set at startup except the bare minimums that windows needs.

Which OS are you running? Under the General tab of the System Configuration utility, select either a Diagnostic startup or Selective startup...

Using System Configuration
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-System-Configuration

You might also want to post a pic. of all the Startup items listed under the Startup tab, and post it in this thread. Make sure to resize the Startup Item column enough that all of the program names are completely visible. The window can't be resized, so take as many pic's as necessary using the scroll bar as needed. Or download and run the Autoruns utility from Sysinternals...

Autoruns for Windows v11.70
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more.

Autoruns

Copied from autoruns, wasn't sure what to do so I just selected everything.

Attachments

• autoruns.png
    autoruns.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 58
  • autoruns2.png
    autoruns2.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 61
  • autoruns3.png
    autoruns3.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 58
Autoruns cont.

Autoruns continued.

Attachments

• autoruns4.png
    autoruns4.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 59
  • autoruns5.png
    autoruns5.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 59
Control panel, system and security, administrative tools, system configuration, then the Startup tab.

That will list all the programs your system starts upon booting the ocmputer. Screeny that one.

Just a side note as well... when taking screenshots, in order to only capture the active window, use Alt-PrtScrn with the window you want 'active'. :)

GL!

Last edited:
Alright guys, I can't find the culprit. So I'm just gonna wipe the drives and restart slowly until this starts happening. All I have is time anyhow.

Wiping the drives often doesn't hurt the drives does it? It's probably the 15th time wiping them since buying them 2 yrs ago.

Back