• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help - PC Surround sound.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lubo

Hi, I posted this problem on the Head fi forums a few hours ago, So i'm trying to see if i'll get more responses here, This is my setup below etc.

I have Astro A40's along with the Mixamp 2013 edition, I do alot of gaming mainly Counter strike GO on PC, So I realised that I diden't have a soundcard to run the 5.1 signal "Dolby digital live" <-- Btw which part of hardware needs this? The headset or Mixamp? Anyway, I read more into this and came across numerous sources / complaints about Dolby Digital Live at first I thought it must have been faulty Soundcards etc, But no, There is actually a delay in sound with this Dolby Digital Live so now i'm pretty upset that I won't be able to get Surround sound through my Mixamp and to my headset without a delay As greatly need good positional sound.

Here is a couple of scenarios to get around this Dolby Digital live problem.

Do I replace the headset or Mixamp with something else another type of virtual surround sound Xear 3d?

Do I get a new pair of Headphones mainly the AKG Q701 or Phillips Fidelio X1 with a DAC and AMP?

I'm not sure what a DAC does but I know an amp basically highers the volume? I would really like surround sound but if that's a problem that I need this Dolby Digital Live i'd rather just go full-out Stereo with no delay.

Thanks for reading help is greatly appreciated.

You do not need surround. Your headphones are actually stereo with fake virtual DSP's being put into the signal. If you want a very open sound stage which is like having surround then get proper open headphones. A DAC converts 1's and 0's to actually analog sound. Your headphones use a very cheap DAC that is in your mixamp. A good DAC is worth more than anything. DAC determines your sound quality potential. If you want surround DSP then get an Asus Essence ST/STX or wait for the STX II to come out. I use an Essence ST but do not use any DSP except an equalizer. DSP's ruin the sounds truthfulness.

My suggestion for you is to get an Essence STX or an Objective 2 ODAC/AMP paired with a Sennheiser HD598 or Beyer DT990 or AKG. If you want nice open sound then it must be a open headphone. You do not need fake surround, just get a headphone with massive sound stage.

I personally use studio monitors with a subwoofer and this is so much better than headphones that I sold my headphones.

You do not need surround. Your headphones are actually stereo with fake virtual DSP's being put into the signal. If you want a very open sound stage which is like having surround then get proper open headphones. A DAC converts 1's and 0's to actually analog sound. Your headphones use a very cheap DAC that is in your mixamp. A good DAC is worth more than anything. DAC determines your sound quality potential. If you want surround DSP then get an Asus Essence ST/STX or wait for the STX II to come out. I use an Essence ST but do not use any DSP except an equalizer. DSP's ruin the sounds truthfulness.

My suggestion for you is to get an Essence STX or an Objective 2 ODAC/AMP paired with a Sennheiser HD598 or Beyer DT990 or AKG. If you want nice open sound then it must be a open headphone. You do not need fake surround, just get a headphone with massive sound stage. .

Check out the Sennheiser HD600. Next step up from the 598 cans, but a big step. They are my favorite sub $1,000 headphones I've ever used by far.

Agreed on the DAC comments. Except I wouldn't get an Asus DAC or Asus audio products period (not trying to bash your soundcard). From my experience you get the best bang for your buck when buying audio equipment from actual audio companies, like Cambridge Audio, Grant Fidelity, Music Fidelity, etc. I have a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC11 that I picked up used for $250 bucks and it will blow any onboard DAC or soundcard out of the water. Nuforce makes some very solid and affordable simple DACs that do a very solid job if all you need is a DAC + Headphone amp.

Something that people forget about quite a bit when picking up nice headphones is the impedance. I'm not sure what the Sennheiser HD595 impedance is, but the 600 and 650 cans are 300ohm which means you need a solid amp to power them. A normal analog out won't bring out their best.

Last edited:
I second the suggestions of the $180 Senn HD598. If that is too much for ya, then I highly suggest the $80 NVX XPT100.

I'm just a filthy commoner, so I can't comment on the $400 Senn HD600. :p

Back