• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help stop my friend PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh474

Registered
So i need people to help stop my friend making a mistake he is planning on buying one of them all in one water cooling systems 2nd hand and cutting it up to add things to it like cooling for north-bridge and a extra rad and rez i said whats the point and the pump wont run it so please help stop him thanks

Welcome to OCFs!

So i need people to help stop my friend making a mistake he is planning on buying one of them all in one water cooling systems 2nd hand and cutting it up to add things to it like cooling for north-bridge and a extra rad and rez i said whats the point and the pump wont run it so please help stop him thanks

I wouldn't mod a AIO cooling loop to create his own "custom" loop. He'll need to read up the stickies to water cooling and save up and purchase a beginners kit depending if he's doing CPU only loop or possibly thinking of adding the GPU. He don't need to cool the MB or RAM if he's considering to water cool. If finances is a issue he's better off grabbing a good air cooler.

well, i hate to say but i ghetto all in one kits, some (most) really suck.
by the time I get an all in one to actually work when ghettoed, and some just to work, i have more money in the thing than i would in a kit.

Give me his name and Address :rofl:

Im sure you already mentioned that it is pointless outside of looks to cool ram, and the northbridge/motherboard period. To add to that, most AIO kits pumps cannot handle adding much if anything to them. That and ram/mobo blocks are pretty restrictive...

Add it together and you have a recipe for disaster.

I hope that helps.

tell your friend...

3My6VKA.jpg

jk... but seriously.. not worth the time or risk, like everyone else said custom loop or bust.

Depending on how he uses his PC he may be able to cool both his CPU and a single video card that way. I had considered it using a single all in one 240 kit and adding a rez. The reason being that a single 240 kit will cool a CPU and they usually, from information I find other places on the internet, cool a CPU quite well while only running at about 65 to 85 percent efficiency due to not being totally full of liquid. With the addition of a reservoir you could probably run a video card also for hours on end as you will be running 100 percent effeciency on the radiator and I would add push pull fans. What you would not be able to do is run the PC 24/7 full out. Everyone here will tell you that.

I'm running a single 280 radiator, a 250mm resevoir, a D5 pump and cool an I7 with a 760GTX video card with zero issues. I just don't run 24/7 but I do play games for like 7 hours at a time. Never even approaches getting hot.

Alienware units now use a single loop 120 for an I7 CPU. Everyone here will tell you that's impossible and that a HUGE noisy air cooler is much better.

Thankfully, I have a right to my own opinion and to test my own theories.

Alienware units now use a single loop 120 for an I7 CPU. Everyone here will tell you that's impossible and that a HUGE noisy air cooler is much better.
Someone said that?!!!

Funny, the most common thing I see around these parts is that people will tell you that a 120 is sufficient for a CPU only. High end air generally does a better job however.

Understand that part of the point of water cooling is to get BETTER than air temps with LESS noise. How you decide to run your loop, the temperatures you want to get, noise levels, and fan config, all play a role in that among many other things.

EDIT: Here is the thread that you seemed to formulate that opinion of how we respond to watercooling...The first post is where I can see you get that from, but with respect to that person, he was incredibly dramatic in his response AT BEST. The rest of the replies are, IMO, properly tempered and contain factual information.

Someone said that?!!!

Funny, the most common thing I see around these parts is that people will tell you that a 120 is sufficient for a CPU only. High end air generally does a better job however.

Understand that part of the point of water cooling is to get BETTER than air temps with LESS noise. How you decide to run your loop, the temperatures you want to get, noise levels, and fan config, all play a role in that among many other things.

EDIT: Here is the thread that you seemed to formulate that opinion of how we respond to watercooling...The first post is where I can see you get that from, but with respect to that person, he was incredibly dramatic in his response AT BEST. The rest of the replies are, IMO, properly tempered and contain factual information.

He was dramatic wasn't he?

But the point here is that many of the responses that I received are simply not for daily computing or even for heavy gaming. And it is factual that a closed loop 120mm radiator unit is running well below capacity because they can't fill them full and contend with expansion. Therefore it is , for a daily and gaming computer, quite possible to cool a CPU and a GPU by adding a resevoir and a GPU block.

Is the op technical enough? Dunno

Is it hard to do? That depends on the AIO unit purchased. Proceed carefully they are not all created equal.

Will it be enough? Depends on how he plans to use the PC.

So what high end air units are not noisy and big?

A noctua DH-14. For appropriate clocks is probably within a few db's of my H100i (set on balanced) and displaces far less than my H100i. but size is a matter pf perspective. For some a quality air cooler is a center piece, and not an inconvenience. Could it give comparable temps to my H100i (My HDD has a higher temp than my CPU under load)? I do not know. I haven't used one, I do know that MY aio cooler works well for ME, but, I also have the runt of the litter when it comes to FX chips. Is it ideal? Short answer is no, but I got a good deal, so I use it. Would I buy one new? Probably not, I am a big fan of the Phobya DIY kit I linked.

Your'e 5 minute test (@ stock clocks). hardly conclusive I think.

Attachments

• p955minute.JPG
    p955minute.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 120
But the point here is that many of the responses that I received are simply not for daily computing or even for heavy gaming.
I didn't take that away from that entire thread outside of the first post.

I think those that responded did so with the mentality I mentioned above... The point of watercooling being to keep things cooler than air while being quieter. Surely, You can hook up some delta's in a push pull at 4K RPM and It *may* be in the ballpark, but that defeats one major purpose of watercooling, noise. Another option, the one you took, was to accept air like temperatures from a water cooling system. Both methods are of course OK. When sizing systems for people, unless they say otherwise, we go with what is expected out of a water cooled system, not making sacrifices. ;)

Where we tend to diverge a bit is in a couple of areas.. First, your testing... 5 minutes... not enough. Its not enough on air, none the less water. Proper testing of a water cooling loop, as was mentioned in that thread, requires to test long enough to saturate the water/rad with the heatload. With AIO's I would say 30-45 minutes. With custom loops, and hour. Air is 15+ minutes or so. That said, I know you game for '7 hours' and that is plenty to see your max temps. That said, gaming isn't a stress test either as the CPU isn't remotely used to 100%. HOWEVER the only times both are used at 100% is stress testing and F@H or something of the like.

Where we tend to diverge a bit is in a couple of areas.. First, your testing... 5 minutes... not enough. Its not enough on air, none the less water. Proper testing of a water cooling loop, as was mentioned in that thread, requires to test long enough to saturate the water/rad with the heatload. With AIO's I would say 30-45 minutes. With custom loops, and hour. Air is 15+ minutes or so. That said, I know you game for '7 hours' and that is plenty to see your max temps. That said, gaming isn't a stress test either as the CPU isn't remotely used to 100%. HOWEVER the only times both are used at 100% is stress testing and F@H or something of the like.

Sigh

Yes I know what you are saying and I know you guys LOVE stress tests that involve pushing both CPU and GPU to the max for hours on end.

The issue is that would only be necessary in certain conditions which most people simply will not encounter in real world usage.

Now come all the responses, as before, that someone might want to spend CPU time and GPU time to mine for coins or solve complex diseases. So since the majority of computing scenarios fall in MY category and not in mining/world problem solving why should I over build to be "ready" for that?? If I ever want to do that I know I can simply add a radiator.

I don't and most people don't. And that's the reality of water cooling.

Clovett, this will be my last post in this thread...(you are welcome to PM me or bump your thread for that matter)

You seem to want to make this an us versus them issue when it is really not. The point of the testing suggested is to see worst case temps. While this worst case is mostly reserved for distributed platform type of work where components are at 100%, that also builds in some headroom for the inevitable rise of ambient temps that is Summer. Personally, I would rather know worst case and know I'm good, than know what my 'gaming' temps are regardless of how I use the PC. With using the full stress test for a 'proper' amount of time, you know how much headroom you have left for rising ambient temperatures or overclocking among other things...NOT solely for mining/folding etc.

Nobody is saying to overbuild. Again the point of water cooling is to get temps BETTER than air AND be a quieter solution. Otherwise, why spend the extra money on the AIO/custom loop? You chose to sacrifice the 'better than air' temps by your rad choice(size). Anyone that chooses that method could save some cash by just going air as its not any quieter at that point.

Anyway, feel free to bump your thread if you would like to continue... I may merge these posts there or start another thread if you would like...

Last edited:
Its honestly often just more difficult to mod something to make it work then to just do it correctly and buy parts that are made to work together.

But if he is hell bent on using a AIO and adding to it which for the life of me i can only imagine hes afraid of doing a full loop or something.

Then perhaps you can atleast talk him into a swiftech H220 or H320 unit so at least the hoses are correct size to be used in a modified environment and their is a plug on the rad to Fill it ecc and the pump actually has enough hp to move more then its intended amounts of water. the siftech aio is made to be added onto somewhat im sure he would have better luck starting with that kind of solution.

I personally would always prefer having
A. a solid known reliable pump over a AIO pump which have been known to fail.
b. reservoir that i can see when its full and what not no guess work if water is in the loop or you have a leak.
C. Proper reliable no fail in a million years fittings and clamps.

But thats just me and i can also pick rads to fit my application to get the most of the space i have.. such as thick rads in areas i can run thicker rads and thinner rads when needed for fitment issues.

Back