• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H50, what is it good for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I picked this thing up a year or 2 ago for I think $25 new clearance at worst buy and its been in its box since. I kinda want to use it but I don't know if its something that I would want to use on my main system.
what kind of "stuff" could I cool with it?
my main stays cool with its massive scythe cooler on it but it could be quieter...

edit:

while I am at it I also have a Cool IT systems Omni ALC 120mm gpu cooler with a leaky pump. is it worth trying to salvage the rad and if so how the hell do these fittings come off?

Last edited:
Unless you got a secondary system of some sort I would try selling. I would just keep the air cooler.

After looks at many of pictures on google, I came to the conclusion that you may not be able to change the fittings. You have the part in hand just disassemble it yourself and find out :). To me it looks like you may need to use a silicon based adhesive when installing tubing onto it because it simply doesn't look like it is made to be modified.

The Corsair unit can be used as a GPU cooler. I got my H80 modded on my 7870. Purchased a bracket from this guy at OCN .

As for the Cool-IT unit, GaldedRaw pretty much covered it. Not much can be done with a leaky pump aside from taking it apart and sealing it with silicon.
And no, the fittings cannot be changed..well they can be changed, but it'll be more trouble than it's worth. You'll have to cut them off, the drill the the remainder out, then JB weld the new fittings on. Not worth all that trouble IMO for something that can be had brand new on the cheap.

Or instead of using nasty JB weld, you could go extreme and after you drill out the fittings, you could tap it and screw in fittings.

I have a H50 and a H100i,both in the box.I have NO clue what to do with them. Maybe shooting them might be fun:clap:

That would be such a waste, why not just sell them?

To the OP, I'd go with Nebulous' idea of use as a video cooler if you can, otherwise sell it off.

Or instead of using nasty JB weld, you could go extreme and after you drill out the fittings, you could tap it and screw in fittings.

Actually tapping them is a good idea, however given the thin material it's made of, it will not hold and just crack upon the first tapping. Thus is why I suggested JB Weld. And tho it might be a gooey mess at first, if you give it a minute or so for it to become thicker, it will not be a mess. Trust me I've used it hundreds of times on all my modded builds and I'm anal about perfection ;)

alright I got the tubing out of the fittings of the Omni alc. they were held in with tiny spring pins that needed to be punched out.
the "pump" was toast so I tossed it, it was leaking deep from within

the fittings on it are....different, I could tap them but if I were to do any thing I would probably drill the old ones out and braze new barbed fittings on

was the H55 that much better than the H50?

H50 ... good for bolting the block/pump combo to the (hot) underside of a DDC pump :D

That's actually not a bad idea.

Using an H50 in a HTPC might be a good idea. A low profile HTPC case where a big air cooler is too big. The pump/block on an H50 isn't that big. Throw a couple of quiet fans on there and you're good.

Last edited:
Back