• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with OC i7 860

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TurboOG

Good day everyone,

I have this old setup that Ive never OC (didn't need to), but since the capability is there and i got time, why not? smile.gif. I replaced the box with something newer and put more fans in it just as a precaution.

EVGA P55 SLI
i7 860 @ 2.8
EVGA GTX 660 2gb
Corsair Dominator 8g (2gx4) DDR3 1600
Corsair H60
NXZT Phantom with every fan you can install on it

Ive changed the following settings for OC:

Multiplier: 20x
Clockgen: Disabled
CPU Freq: 200
QPI: 4.270 GT/s
MCH Strap: 1600 Mhz

Without VDroop
CPU VCore Boot: 1.3750V
CPU VCore Even: 1.3750V
DIMM: 1.65V
CPU VTT Boot: 1.375V
CPU VTT Even:1.375V
PCH: Auto
PLL: Auto

DRAM Freq: 1067(2:8)
C1E, SpeedStep and C-STATE Disabled

HT ON

My goal right now its to hit 4.0G for 24/7.

My Problem is that at idle the system run at about 38C ~40C and once i run Prime95 Blend, it goes all the way up to 80C~82C. I don't like these Temps and im sure a long blend test will net some errors.
I have a basic understanding of these settings and although every setup/hardware is different i would appreciate any advice you may have on what to change to improve/stabilize it.
i will be posting some pics of what i am seeing. Ill appreciate any advice you may have.

You shouldn't need to supply more than approx. 1.325v for a 4.0Ghz clock, or as much as 1.375v VTT for 8GB of RAM running at 800MHz. Raise the PCI-E frequency to 104Mhz, then lower both the Vcore and VTT.

I followed your advice and lower the voltage. However the temps are not stable during P95. They just keep rising slowly until i stop it or BSOD (in less than 4min).I have reseated the H60 twice already with AS5.
n5ro.png

jrad.png

The 2 fans readings at the bottom are the H60 Radiator fan and Pump.:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

Whats the impact/purpose of raising PCI-E frequency? If i raise it, Clock Gen gets auto enabled and it causes a double cold boot every time i turn on the PC

Thanks for help!

That's the way the CPU and PCI-E clock generators work. Leave the PCI-E frequency at 104MHz, and make sure Turbo is disabled.

Last edited:
Back