• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

summer is coming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
summer-is-coming_o_1317463.jpg
today is gonna top 80f here in northern OK so i had to turn the mining rig off and turn on the AC and close the window :(

sad to say it but it will be irrelevant for me to continue mining with the heat, after some calculations my 280x will be basicaly breaking even once i turn the air conditioner on, those of you with cheap electricity are lucky lol, right now im making about a dollar a day after power costs ($0.12 per kw/h) and once i turn the AC on to cool the rig it will be even less profitable as it takes almost as much power to cool said heat as what is generated. i got a nice pile of coins i have acquired over the last few months i will sit on for a while.

anyone else gonna have to stop over summer?

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

I dealt with the heat last summer and I will again. Going to go about it differently this year, though. I'll be installing a turbine fan in my garage that will be able to change the air inside every minute. Garage door stays open by an inch or so all summer, and interior temp never exceeds outside temps.

ah yea, i wish i had a garage, id probably do the same thing, mine is in an insulated building all to its own i might have to install another window one of these days for better air circulation lol i only shut the window today because theres a chance of rain and my main pc desk is right below the only window plus it is supposed to be windy as crap, will probably start it backup on the cooler days we have coming this week but alot of storms coming as well.

Stop mining?

GjySz.jpg

Watch, with my luck I'll have snow till August :p
I'll probably just end up moving my rig to the basement if need be.

yea i doubt id be worried about it in canada lol 80f is what like your high for the whole year? lmao.. 90-110f is a norm here in summer which is about 32-43c

Stop mining?

GjySz.jpg

Watch, with my luck I'll have snow till August :p
I'll probably just end up moving my rig to the basement if need be.

same same here. the difficulty and prices are dropping which, even though breaks my heart, should at least give me a better chance at making more profit around fall or winter if i mine more and buy more.

yea i doubt id be worried about it in canada lol 80f is what like your high for the whole year? lmao.. 90-110f is a norm here in summer which is about 32-43c

IT got up to 122F (50C) 2 years ago. :shock:

Usually ~30C (86F)

@(G{in}[AK)TION]
Yeah, I imagine prices might go up a bit if ppl stop mining. :shrug:

yea difference is it sustains that heat for months at a time here. and from what i can find online the hottest temp ever recorded in canada was 45c in 1937... lol. i lived in ohio for about 6 years which is a bit south of the most southern part ontario and i mean yea it broke 100f... once a year but it never sustained it nor anything much over 85f.

and idk what your power costs are there but here they are some of the highest in the usa. costs like $0.70 a day to run my main rig alone. my stupid server isnt far behind, which is why im trying to sell it lol.

Last edited:
yea difference is it sustains that heat for months at a time here. and from what i can find online the hottest temp ever recorded in canada was 45c in 1937... lol. i lived in ohio for about 6 years which is a bit south of the most southern part ontario and i mean yea it broke 100f... once a year but it never sustained it nor anything much over 85f.

and idk what your power costs are there but here they are some of the highest in the usa. costs like $0.70 a day to run my main rig alone. my stupid server isnt far behind, which is why im trying to sell it lol.

We go by "Time of Use" http://www.hydroone.com/TOU/Pages/Default.aspx

It averages out to ~ $0.10/Kw
To mine and fold on the cpu costs me just under $1/day

but dont you live in a dorm? or with your parents? or maybe it wasnt you.. i dont remember lol.

then you're costs are irrelavent! lol lucky
i havent even kicked the AC on yet and my most recent power bill was $240 usd but before i killed one of my rigs and sold the gpu it was over $340 usd a month. granted we were using electric space heaters a bit more as well but not that much.

then you're costs are irrelavent! lol lucky
i havent even kicked the AC on yet and my most recent power bill was $240 usd but before i killed one of my rigs and sold the gpu it was over $340 usd a month. granted we were using electric space heaters a bit more as well but not that much.

Ouch!

We are lucky, we use our wood stove as much as possible.
And come to think of it, AC power costs do not affect me. They will just turn it on anyway! :p

I'm lucky I have a nice garage/shop that has 100 amp 220V service.

No AC though, but I get good flow through with the doors open.

And I've only got 1 mining rig in it.

Ouch!

We are lucky, we use our wood stove as much as possible.
And come to think of it, AC power costs do not affect me. They will just turn it on anyway! :p

exactly your cost arguments are irrelevant! lol either way you profit. i imagine with my rig off now my power costs will drop below $200 a month

I've got another 2 months before my central air kicks on. The only thing that will stop me from mining at this point is the BTC value. If it continues to plummet I may stop mining and just start buying BTC instead. Downside to this is it hasn't payed for my initial investment yet and convincing the "Boss" that I should invest more into a Bull market will be challenging to say the least.

Edit: Running the hot tub(the wife insisted we get) through this last winter is what has been killing our eletric bill. So mining through the summer with the AC going won't be an issue.

Edit: Running the hot tub(the wife insisted we get) through this last winter is what has been killing our eletric bill. So mining through the summer with the AC going won't be an issue.

You haven't cross connected your miners and your hot tub yet? :D

What the wife don't know.... actually I could use the rig to heat the tub.......The HT pump can push 250gallons/min. could use my old truck radiator, if it can handle that much flow.... Might need to revisit this later.

Back