• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-gaming benchmarks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s4k4

Hey guys,

I was wondering how useful benchmarks such as Geekbench, Passmark, SysMark etc are when making buying decisions? Normally I just look at gaming benchmarks.

:confused:

GB gives one a good idea of what the CPU can do... not so much anything else, at all. Passmark last I checked was inconsistent and checks the entire SYSTEM it is benched on.. not sure about SysMark.

Personally, I look at reviews of chips from reputable websites (like us) which use 'real' applications (for the most part) to test and compare.

Sysmark was a benchmark used in business to compare computers and it used to be good tool. Now it's less popular.
However most benchmarks are inconsistent so are pretty bad to compare anything. Even if there are good benchmarks then they won't tell you much about real performance.
In general to test computer's performance best is to use something like Sysmark ( if you have database to compare results ) or PCMark.
If you want to check CPU or memory performance then there is a lot of benchmarks with their own databases but you have to know what are they actually testing and how it affects your daily work.

If you want to compare something for games then you should look at FPS , not final scores, marks etc. In this case better are always game benchmarks. 3DMarks and other similar programs are hard to compare nowadays.
Older but faster cards can have lower scores just because they won't support one feature. Or physics tests can bump scores because of additional CPU cores while in real games it almost won't help.

Back