• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my graphics card dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowman0040

Registered
Hey all, so I just got my new build up and running and I cannot get my graphics card to work!

The card is a ATI Firepro V5800, I tested it in a different machine when I received it because it was an open box purchase and it worked fine. Now, a few months later I have finally assembled my build and I cannot get the card to do anything at all. My board doesn't seem to recognize it as a valid graphics card, and wont post if its the only graphics card installed.
I have installed windows 8.1 pro (using a spare graphics card), and tried to install the drivers for the Firepro card, but the installation errors out every time. The Firepro doesn't show up in device manager either... the only action I get from the card is a fan that screams non stop until I shut my machine down.

The question remains.. is my card dead? or am I just doing everything wrong...

The obvious: Is the card seated properly? Are you using the right drivers and the newest? Is your motherboard OK? Can your Power Supply handle that card? If yes, then the card is defective.:drool:

thanks for the response guys,
I should have mentioned this in my original post, this card is in the project system in my sig. That should give some system context for the problem.

The Firepro v5800 is 75 watts, so it does not have a power connector on it.
My power supply is a 750 watt which is almost double what my system needs.
The card is seated properly and I have reseated it a number of times in two different slots. I have installed a spare graphics card in order to get windows and the Firepro drivers installed. I have tried three different amd driver packages downloaded directly from the amd website, they all error out half way through the install. :mad:

The system works awesome using the spare graphics card so I think we can rule out motherboard issues or anything like that.

Is it normal for an amd/ati graphics card to not be recognized by an intel system until the correct drivers are installed??:confused:

Can you test the GPU in another system again, just to be sure if it is good or not?

I'm hoping to be able to do that tonight. I don't have another tower that I can try it in, so I have to take it away to retest it.

Also, what settings do you have regarding compatibility for your PCIe slots?
Can you set IRQs?

how many video output ports do you have some cards dont like using one port without using the other i figured this out after days of thinking i had 4 dead video cards

Also, what settings do you have regarding compatibility for your PCIe slots?
Can you set IRQs?

Hmm.. cant say I am familiar with exatly how IRQs work... guess I should go do some more research!

how many video output ports do you have some cards dont like using one port without using the other i figured this out after days of thinking i had 4 dead video cards

My card has two display ports and one dvi, I tried all three before I installed windows (with no luck on any of them), but I suppose I should try them all again now.

snowman0040 said:
My board doesn't seem to recognize it as a valid graphics card, and wont post if its the only graphics card installed.

Guessing you are getting the beep error for no video card???? If so then it either isn't seating right in your motherboard or the card is toast.

snowman0040 said:
I have installed windows 8.1 pro (using a spare graphics card), and tried to install the drivers for the Firepro card, but the installation errors out every time. The Firepro doesn't show up in device manager either

Until you can get it past post and the hardware to recognize it you wont get the OS to recognize it.

snowman0040 said:
the only action I get from the card is a fan that screams non stop until I shut my machine down.

Some cards will go at full fan speed until they are energized and they let the sensors take over on fan control, My guess is since the card isn't functioning properly that it cannot allow the sensors to throttle the fan's back. Again this will come down to either it wont seat properly in that motherboard for some reason or the card is toast.

Trying it in another system would be your next step if it happens there you know your answer. With a different card working properly in your system leads me to believe this card is having the issue and not the rest of the hardware. I will add a LONG time ago I had a pci card that acted similar to this and the only way I could get it to post was to hold it pushed towards the back of the case, for some reason it did not want to line up with the pci slot to well, I was able to make it work in the end but never felt comfortable with it so I got another card and replaced it.

Guessing you are getting the beep error for no video card???? If so then it either isn't seating right in your motherboard or the card is toast.

I dont have any front panel stuff hooked up right now so I dont have a speaker to give me a beep.. but I have been looking up the Q-codes on the boards debug display. before I installed windows it was always getting hung on "legacy boot event". Now it seems to be booting up windows (judging my q codes), but I dont get anything on my monitor while using the FirePro graphics card.

picture.php

Try re-applying thermal paste to the core.

Use rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to clean up any traces of the old thermal paste and slap some new stuff on it.

That revived my 6850 when I got it. It was artifacting galore on stock clocks until I found some thermal paste that was shorting out some components near the core.

Try re-applying thermal paste to the core.

Use rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to clean up any traces of the old thermal paste and slap some new stuff on it.

That revived my 6850 when I got it. It was artifacting galore on stock clocks until I found some thermal paste that was shorting out some components near the core.

Makes sense. Ill check that out if I cant get it working in another system.

I made a very disappointing discovery last night. I'm not even sure how I noticed it, but it looks like one of the little surface mounted bits on my graphics card ran away from home :rain:

most of the solder points are still intact so the solder obviously didn't stick too well, but there are two points where the component took a small chunk of the trace with it. That's what convinced me that something is missing.

so I guess this explains all the trouble I have been having, my card is just dead. :(

picture.php

Sorry to hear that 0040, I know it doesn't help you now but for future you may want to look into getting a Case speaker they do make it a bit easier when you get the beep code (I know it's old school). I ended up buying like a dozen of them at one shot off fleabay because the price was so cheap for them and I install them on all my systems.

So do you figure you knocked them off since it was working in another system before you stored it away until you did this build?

So do you figure you knocked them off since it was working in another system before you stored it away until you did this build?

It must have been damaged in storage or something, that's really the only explanation that makes sense.
I doubt I'll be able to RMA it, so I guess Ill just have to buy another one...

Thanks to everyone here for the quick response and help in troubleshooting, it is greatly appreciated!

Back