• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really Small, low heat, +good 1080p?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

Looking to make a Really small HTPC/GPC something I could build into a dresser, or nightstand, or vase....Sounds retarded I know, but the wife gave me permission as long as it doesn't look like a computer.

Ideas?

Have you looked at those small units like the Gigabyte Brix? Not sure what you have available in the US in terms of mini PCs but they could save some time - just need RAM, a drive and potentially a CPU depending on the model.

Have you looked at those small units like the Gigabyte Brix? Not sure what you have available in the US in terms of mini PCs but they could save some time - just need RAM, a drive and potentially a CPU depending on the model.

+1, or one of the Intel NUC barebones. If you need something a bit more powerful, the only other think of is something like an mITX build in a drawer or something.

You could also go with one of those ARM boards that are popping up (Rasp. Pi, Odroid, etc.) if you're ok with a non-x86 OS. Some of the newer ones should be able to handle 1080P. Even the RPi can handle it.

Last edited:
I bought one of these a few years ago:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/E35M1M_PRO/

Comes with on-board APU and is fanless. It's a bit old but it's silent, small, low-power and low-heat. And it has HDMI which can output at 1080p. I can't testify to what it's like with heavy graphics mode as it just sits there year-in, year-out running Ubuntu Server - it's my home server / NAS. But it may do the job cheaply and well.

really liking these =D

Might grab a couple. Guessing if I were to build one of these into a large vase, or ceder chest it wouldn't cost more than 500 bucks for a nice looking wife approved HTPC =D

Going to be fun.

really liking these =D

Might grab a couple. Guessing if I were to build one of these into a large vase, or ceder chest it wouldn't cost more than 500 bucks for a nice looking wife approved HTPC =D

I'm not sure why whether or not your wife is good looking or not should affect the price, but yes - it shouldn't cost much.(*)

Make sure you allow ample cooling - there's a reason metal normally feels cold to the touch and wood almost never does.

(*) Punctuation is Captain Ambiguity's nemesis.

Back