• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED W2K.... blast from the past.. help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I know, I know dont comment about the age etc etc.

There is a computer that requires windows 2k. Its hard drive controller was replaced and now it is BSOD with "inaccessible_boot_device".

Everything I have read says to run the repair (which fails to find the installation). Or to put it back into the original computer and then edit the registry (which obviously is not possible)

I have tried manually repairing it with fixmbr, fixboot, chkdsk /r.

I am far from a Windows person any pointers would be useful. I also can't create an ERD because I dont have another way to create it.

Is this a lost cause? I am downloading hiren's boot cd hoping there will be some miracle there

Boot device driver or controller driver is not in the standard windows 2000 library. If Setup autodetected the controller, you might need to skip detection and use a specific manufacturers disk to load the driver and then finish the repair.

If I drop to the CLI, I am dropped into c:\winnt. Does this not indicate that the hard drive is being seen correctly?

got ahold of Hiren's Boot CD. In there there was a "fix hard drive" option when booting the MINI XP Image

Back