• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid things windows techs say:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol I didn't mean to start anything. I'm just saying statement two is not true and its bad for people who do not know Linux to read that and think perhaps it is.

As far as whether Windows is more complicated than Linux, that is just my opinion. I never keep anything the default and I'd rather edit files in /etc any day over editing the Registry. The file permissions are much simpler, the file system makes alot more sense and a whole lot of more that ultimately is just my opinion.

The OP should be the one to address what I posted. But:

I have Win7 Pro 64-bit
I don't have viruses
My computer is turned on.

How do I know I don't have viruses? It's not because it's Winderz. It's because I ran two scans with two different VPs earlier today which confirmed that I don't. It's a habit of mine. Maybe the OP's as well?

I've got an email saying that people having too much email is not allowing people to log in to outlook.

It is cheaper to change people perception of a thing, than it is to design and implement adequate storage.

Sounds like the airplane stewardesses that insist various devices have magical invisible and intangible wifi support and therefore must be powered off to prevent from interfering with the plane's electronics.

I've got an email saying that people having too much email is not allowing people to log in to outlook.

It is cheaper to change people perception of a thing, than it is to design and implement adequate storage.

This is very similar to a place where I used to work. Had a day where my group noticed a loss of connection to the exchange server. I called our service desk, the person's response on the other end of the phone was to e-mail them about the problem.

I moved a PC from one port to another and simply changed the cables at the switch. All well and good, no one in central IT was the wiser. Until they wanted to add one piece of equipment and found out that unfortunately that 'open' port in the meantime got put out of commission by water damage at the terminus. Their solution? They sent a new 24 port switch; the fix, a new connector. One 24 port switch sitting idly by.

Except for the fact that having a few thousand emails sitting in your inbox WILL prevent people from logging in to Exchange through Outlook. It doesnt matter if the backend has a few petabytes for each user...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2652320

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...ped-working-freezes-or-hangs-HA103989783.aspx

Oh, I dont disagree on its validity.

@Johnny5 Windows is complex compared to Linux? Maybe the backend.... I need a Linux for dummies book, and a dummies guide to understanding the Linux for dummies book, and probably a third book for reference of the stuff that isn't clearly stated in the first 2 books.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by "double click installer, double click .exe"

This is one of the primary reasons Windows is so susceptible to a virus infection whereas linux is not. Installing software in Windows is easy. How easy? You don't even have to realize you're doing it! Click the wrong thing and uh-oh... you've installed a virus.

It's by design that installing something requires more steps in linux. This provides a sanity check. The user A. must be aware that they're installing something and B. must know how to do it (and often C. must have the rights is used to keep people from attempting things they shouldn't be doing). Said user is not going to facilitate the installation of software they don't want, and certainly they won't install something at a time they don't expect / didn't request anything be installed.

While the linux method is not as convenient for a novice, it is still very easy once you get some experience. As a side effect of getting that kind of education, the user becomes the first filter in virus prevention.

The analogy I use is dog training. If anyone has ever hired a dog trainer because their pet is ill behaved, they'll know what I'm talking about. A professional dog trainer doesn't actually work with the dog... they work with the owner! Train the owner how to handle the dog and before you know it the issue is resolved. In effect, windows is not the problem itself, it is that windows users in large part lack formal training in security and virus protection. They practice computing with unsafe habits. Linux forces users to learn these things if they want to be able to install software.

To be honest, in 15 years I've never seen a single Linux computer infected with anything.

I have my own web/mail server that has been running with no scheduled down time for 10 years and never been infected with anything. It has clamAV on it, which auto updates and scans once or twice a month, but has never found anything except for a couple emails a month which have embedded windows viruses waiting for someone to open and click some links so they can install.

My dad has had a Red hat web/mail/file/internet server up and running for more than 20 years that has probably 30+ attacks a week and never had an infection. He gets an email whenever some blackhat wanna be tries to attack his system.

I've read a lot that say Linux computers CAN get infections, but have yet to see or hear of one outside the paranoid windows tech world of misinformation. Actually come to think of it there was ONE Linux virus that infected 1 build of 1 distribution on 3 computers world wide once. So to day that Linux doesn't get viruses is the truth. ALL the major virus scanning software and servers run on Linux INCLUDING Microsoft's own servers.

Most "linux techs" are still just windows techs that haven't shed the bad habits or flat out wrong/incorrect information they lug around with them like a 3rd arm and apply to Linux like it fits.
They are two completely different mind sets, views, techniques, and paradigms. Its like an Auto mechanic suddenly deciding to be a doctor for humans and claiming that its the same thing. Just different looks.

The world of windows is NOTHING like the Linux world.

I got so used to winblows...it took me 2.5 hours to auto-mount 3 ntfs partitions, install wine, install POL, install virtualbox, and a few other bits and pieces on openSUSE.... in windows would had taken me 30 mins max for the same ammount of software.... and after 2 days still couldn`t make world of tanks work right, it always seemed to have a seizure....

Tibi

I got so used to winblows...it took me 2.5 hours to auto-mount 3 ntfs partitions, install wine, install POL, install virtualbox, and a few other bits and pieces on openSUSE.... in windows would had taken me 30 mins max for the same ammount of software.... and after 2 days still couldn`t make world of tanks work right, it always seemed to have a seizure....

Tibi

To be fair, you are working with WINDOWS software on Linux, if you tried to do the reverse (linux software on Windows) you would probably spend a hell of a lot longer with less success

i know. All i hope for is that steamOS is going to be a succes, or that someone makes an awsome working emulator....

Code:
sudo apt-get install gimp libreoffice chromium-browser vlc p7zip default-jre filezilla virtualbox
(+a short or long coffee break, depending on your internet connection)

That's equivalent to a few hours of mindless clicking on Windows.

I'd say Linux is simpler, too.

I love Windows, and I prefer it becasue I'm used to it, but MAN I never want to see Powershell ever again.

Everything just...works in Linux.
Windows on the other hand......... :bang head somedays.

Back