• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Packet Loss issue for Windows 8.1 (unable to play a game)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ForzaUK

Hi everyone. I just came here as a last resort really. I upgraded to windows 8.1 from windows 7 a few days ago, and i can no longer play the game i used to play. I have contacted their support, this is the answer i got (i showed them a log of my connection to the game server through winmtr) -

"Thank you for the log. It shows a massive packet loss at the first step behind your router. This may be caused by the following reasons:
- You are connected to the internet by using WiFi which is disturbed by massive walls, electronic devices, power supply lines, music boxes, etc.
- Other PC use the same network and use a P2P program (e.g. µTorrent) that utilize the full capacity of the internet connection
- Your network cable or your network chip is faulty
Due to the fact that we are unable to offer a on-site investigation, we recommend to check the above mentioned problems and consult a network technician if necessary."

Everything he mentioned doesn't apply to me, so there is something else causing these issues, which i can't yet figure out.

I am not a tech guy, so i don't really know a lot. I was wondering if any of you knew why i were receiving massive packet loss for 1 game(Called Brick Force), but everything else is fine? I had none of these issues with windows 7 which makes me think it maybe windows 8 related.
I have made a quick video just showing what happens when i try to play a game -

Thanks for any help.

So, are you wireless? Does it go away when wired?

EDIT: You said it doesn't apply so I assume you are wired... sorry...

Do you know the IP of the server you connect to in order to play this game? Try a traceroute to the server and see if one of the hops to the server takes an inordinate amount of time...

EDIT2: Crap, you essentially ran that and they said it is in your connection to that PC...

Have you tried swapping out ports on your router? Resetting the router? Swapping ethernet cables?

I am connected via Ethernet cable. But i also tried wireless, and i get the same results.

I think the IP is: roundrobin.eu.brick-force.com I may be wrong?

Anyway, i did a traceroute to this and i got some results. I don't know what any of them mean though, here is a screenshot of it: http://puu.sh/7VNLM.png

Did you verify that the Infernum Game folks had the bandwidth to support your efforts? Losing only that one game makes me think it may be on their side of the equation. They also have a support page:

http://support.infernum.com/
Yeah, i have spoken to them and they have verified it's an issue on my end someway or another. I am the only person with this issue (that i know of) so it must be an issue with my PC.

I have no doubt it's an issue on my end, as i was playing the game on windows 7 without issues, and as soon as i installed it again(the same day) once windows 8 was installed, i had these issues.

Odd, you have two timeouts in that tracert... (#2 and #9).

Have you tried powering off and on (resetting) your router? Update its firmware?
How about swapping ethernet cables?
Swapping ports on the router?
What about updating your network card driver?

Yes. I have reset the router 3 times. I have also restored it to factory settings. I have not updated the firmware, as i guess it hasn't prompted to me to do so. I have switched cables, and got the same results. I swapped the port from auto to 1 and that didn't work, would it be worth it trying port 1-9?

My network driver is also up to date, as i went to Device Manager and checked everything, and everything is now up to date.

it's really odd i know. But what i can say is that when i was installing windows 8.1 it was "loading" and wouldn't actually load. so i rebooted the PC and i got an error. I goggled the error and fixed it, and after that everything was fine, i just had to finish off the installation. So maybe this isn't a clean install and something went corrupt, but the only thing that is corrupt is like i said, this packet loss issue for this game.

Based on your last post, put your Win8(.1?) DVD back in with no programs running, see if you get a repair option, go forward. Also verify that you have any of the particular latest game files from the vendor for your hardware and 8.1.

I meant physical port on the back of the router, switch the plug.

What motherboard do you have? Go to its website and DL the latest network driver for W8 and reinstall it regardless.

Thanks for all the help, but i just give up. Do any of you know a good program to open an iso in? (Virtual drive basically) apart from MagicDisc?

If you are still running 8 or 8.1, you can right click the ISO and select "Mount". If you don't want to do that, 7-zip will open ISO files no problem, along with just about everything else.

Back