• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with my setup? *Help*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xlmartinilx

Hi Lads,

First of all here is my setup:
AMD a10-7850k with Coolermaster hyper 212 evo cooler
Fractal design core 3000 case
Asus A88X-pro
Msi r9 280x 3gb GPU
2x 4gb Ram AMD Gaming series
Seagate barracuda 2tb
fractal design tesla r2 500w
I run windows 8.1

So here is my problem, If i dont overclock anything its runs perfectly fine (3.7ghz), but when i overclock to 4.0 which is the 2nd stock speed my pc starts to freeze at any moment and i have to hard restart to get everything going again. I dont know where i make a mistake or what my pc does. As u can imagine i'd like to oc because it will improve my pcs performance.

Can anybody give me advice on what to do?
Greatly appreciated!

Do those boards/CPU's overclock by raising FSB or multiplier? If it's the FSB (call something like bclock nowadays) then it's also overclocking the RAM, which may need some adjustment to get it running right. If it is just the multiplier, then idk.

I normally just raise the ratio. I actually never changed the Apu frequency if thats what u mean.
I also ran an auto clock which stopped at 4.4 ghz. Does that change anything?

When i did an auto clock the cpu voltage went from 1.35 to 1.4. Normally with the regular clock from 3.7 to 4.0 the voltage doesnt change.

When i did an auto clock the cpu voltage went from 1.35 to 1.4. Normally with the regular clock from 3.7 to 4.0 the voltage doesnt change.

Try bumping it up by the smallest amounts the BIOS lets you. Until it is stable.

Are you ocing through the bios or using software?

In any event, you'll need to set your ram timings and voltages manually.

You will also need to set your cpu voltage manually, as well.

Just bump up your cpu multiplier by 2 or 3 and disable any turbo options in bios.
Stabilizing turbo clocks can be really painful and I don't recommend trying FSB OC if you don't know what you are doing.

So should i bump the multiplier to 40 and the voltage with little amounts like 0.01v each time and run a torture test with prime95 for a few mins?

im currently using Al suite 3 for my voltages and frenquencys etc. I could also use amd overdrive if thats a better option.

I don't think you need to add any voltage. Just try upping the multi and prime it to see if it is stable. If it isn't you can try to add little bit voltage but I highly doubt you need any.

EDIT:
im currently using Al suite 3 for my voltages and frenquencys etc. I could also use amd overdrive if thats a better option.

Ai suite is ok for initial settings.. You can use it to find close to working settings that you can punch in to bios.
Once you have working bios overclock I recommend you remove AI suite completely.

This will take a while right? =p I dont really know whats enough time to make a torture test reliable

First problem is that you're not using the BIOS. Get rid of AI Suite as it causes problems.

Back