• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tall res or short res

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamakasi

I am watercooling cpu only. It looks better with tall res. Does it matter if res is tall or short?

Thanks
Rusty

The only thing res size affects is how easy it is to bleed your loop. The more water it holds the easier it is. If you have the room to work around it the tall res will be easier to bleed and will be less likely to let bubbles go all the way through and back into the loop.

Generally short tube reservoirs and some small form reservoirs are difficult when you have high flow rate for number of reasons one of them being that the turbulence may force air bubbles to form and enter the system. Most modern reservoirs have some kind of brake or anti turbulence gizmos that allow for smaller size.
Bigger tube reservoirs are easier to maintain and set up, and you wont run into problems with them.
You should choose your reservoir depending of the amount of time and effort you want to put into setting up your loop and maintaining it. Then there is the practicality and aesthetics to consider.
Balance it all out to what you feel comfortable with.

I prefer medium sized tube reservoir myself simply because its so much easier to set up and maintain.
Micro and small reservoirs on the other hand are easy to place internally but it can become frustrating endurance battle to prime and bleed the system and maintenance may be tricky.

If you plan your loop right with drains and bleeding thought out you can make your life hell of a lot easier with most small reservoirs.
For ease of use and budget in mind you want to have medium sized tube res, or a small one that has top inlet with extension tube to stop any vortex/turbulence effects.
There are other options like the integrated pump top/tank combos that work well too but you should research them before buying one.

I agree with everything these two members have said.

I have a big dual bay reservoir that I used in my loop before versus the fancy dual bay which is made up of half pumps (not submersed), water temp display and a half water tank reservoir making it a very slim almost like a micro res if you will and can't have my pumps at full blast. It was a little tricky priming and bleeding them but it took patience. The bigger tank dual bay res was much much easier to work with.

All it matters is the reservoir is before the pump so its naturally feeding to it before its even on.

Last edited:
pump is at lowest spot possible. i just wanted to clean up case since its only wcing the cpu.

Back