• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time CrossFire not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

Ok, so I paired two 6950's together, ensure each had power running to them, and connected 1 crossfire ribbon. The computer starts to boot, gets to the windows Logo screen, then the monitor goes all black. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: BTW, I have an Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 mobo...not sure if there has to be something changed in the BIOS...or do I need 2 crossfire ribbon cables?

You don't need both cables, but it can't hurt to try a different one. If you don't blackscreen u til after the windows logo that means it's failing when the driver initializes. Try booting in safe mode and uninstalling the driver then reboot and do a fresh driver install.

You don't need both cables, but it can't hurt to try a different one. If you don't blackscreen u til after the windows logo that means it's failing when the driver initializes. Try booting in safe mode and uninstalling the driver then reboot and do a fresh driver install.
great suggestion...I'll try it and post back my results

Ok, I tried it and got it working, or so I thought. In the CCC I had crossfire enabled. I decided to run 3DMark 11...but it froze my computer when the benchmarks first graphics test started to load...got no more than 2% in each time. Also froze my computer when I tried to play a game....any suggestions?

I'm using the latest Catalyst Beta Driver....I can check the mother board site for driver updates...

im assuming you tested each card individually and they were stable with regard to their current bios, clock, and temperature?

What PSU are you using, two 6950s doesnt exactly sip power.

Try running unigine heaven or valley in windowed mode, which will bypass the second card without having to disable crossfire, and see if it still crashes. If it does, disable crossfire, shut down, plug your monitor into the bottom card and try to run heaven or valley or a game and see if it still crashes.

I'm going to, but I injured my back and its tough to bend that far down right now to pull the case out of the enclosure is in. When I did that the first time, both cards worked, but the one card stopped working when asked to run a benchmark. Thats when I took that card and tried to play video and it worked---which mean it was able to render 2D and 3D....that problem is that the drivers would make the card not work....so it worked with a default driver, but not the AMD approved drivers...weird, eh?

I inserted the cards separately, and one worked with only the default windows drivers, while the other worked with the AMD drivers. I'm going to test each one individually again, but use the AMD Uninstall software after testing each card before installing drivers from AMD.

Back