• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU for Asus M2N

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asusguy

Registered
Hello guys, im new here.

I need your help regarding something.

I have the asus M2N motherboard, in speccy this is the model: Asus M2N, chipset model MCP61, chipset revision A2.

I would like to upgrade my current CPU (athlon 64x2 6000+) to something better, if possible without changing the motherboard. Could you please tell me which is the best possible cpu for my current motherboard?

Thanks a lot!:D

There is only one chip larger than the one you have already. A 6400+.

You might as well look into a new motherboard with a new cpu and some new ram if your seriously thinking to upgrade.

Thank you for the reply!

May i ask why is it that the ASUS M2N-E can support Phenom CPU's while mine cannot? They seem to be from the same generation and their names are almost identical..

I already have 6GB of corsair XMS2 memory RAM, my main problem is basically my CPU. In some CPU intensive games i have some minor lags, how i wish my mobo would take Phenom CPU's :(

I recently upgraded my other PC so i cannot afford another upgrade right now. I was just hoping to add some Phenom on that mobo but looks like it's impossible..

By the way, are opteron CPU's worse than the one i already have?

Thank you for the reply!

May i ask why is it that the ASUS M2N-E can support Phenom CPU's while mine cannot? They seem to be from the same generation and their names are almost identical..

I already have 6GB of corsair XMS2 memory RAM, my main problem is basically my CPU. In some CPU intensive games i have some minor lags, how i wish my mobo would take Phenom CPU's :(

Well see you have ups and downs here.

To be honest with you, the Memory latency of that 6000+ is actually considerally better than that of a Phenom. The fastest Phenom I released was only 2.6ghz, it just had 4 cores.

So in a sense 2 vs 2 cores, your 6000+ would be faster than Agena Phenom I based cpus having 400mhz higher clock speeds..

The Phenom on the otherhand has more cpu cache, and sometimes that can make all the difference.

That motherboard is bottom of the barrel and the bios/chipset simply do not support Phenom I processors. That's nothing new from a motherboard manufacturer. Helps the public spend more moneys and mostly all it is a bios support deal.

I can't even suggest a good AM2+ motherboard at this time. AM3+ is your best bet, or Intel....

By the way, are opteron CPU's worse than the one i already have?

Worse? No, just not intended for desktop, usually run lower cpu speeds.

Then i guess staying with my current CPU is the best option for now.

The CPU is not what i would call slow, but in online gaming it is having some trouble..

Then i guess staying with my current CPU is the best option for now.

The CPU is not what i would call slow, but in online gaming it is having some trouble..

For that board, that cpu is best... well second best at any rate.

OK what game are you playing and what are the system specs? Most of my gaming comes from the GPU not the cpu as I've gamed on dual cores more than quads so far in my life time.

From the sounds of the system, the VGA needs upgrade.

ShrimpBrime has a good take on this. Please list your entire system specs so that we can more quickly evaluate your needs or make recommendations without having to ask as many questions. We're here to help.

Asus M2N
AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+
Nvidia GT 440 1GB DDR5 & Also have Palit GTX 260 896MB DDR5
6GB of Corsair XMS2 Ram
Thermaltake Smart 630 Watt PSU
Corsair Carbide 200R Case
500GB Caviar Blue HDD

My gaming is mostly smooth with either one of those graphic cards, i only experience some graphic lag while playing online games, and more specifically AION, when the screen has a lot of people (more than 10 maybe) or when im in a city with a lot of buildings and NPC's, the game starts freezing sometimes. The game runs better on my Palit 260 but still lags.. I've tested both of my graphic cards on another system with intel core i3 and the results were a lot better, i could say there was no lag (especially with the 260).

Asus M2N
AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+
Nvidia GT 440 1GB DDR5 & Also have Palit GTX 260 896MB DDR5
6GB of Corsair XMS2 Ram
Thermaltake Smart 630 Watt PSU
Corsair Carbide 200R Case
500GB Caviar Blue HDD

My gaming is mostly smooth with either one of those graphic cards, i only experience some graphic lag while playing online games, and more specifically AION, when the screen has a lot of people (more than 10 maybe) or when im in a city with a lot of buildings and NPC's, the game starts freezing sometimes. The game runs better on my Palit 260 but still lags.. I've tested both of my graphic cards on another system with intel core i3 and the results were a lot better, i could say there was no lag (especially with the 260).

OK what Generation core i3? Wait doesn't matter, it's newer...

In light of researching this particular game, your system specs MORE than qualify to run this game smoothly.
http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/System+Specifications

Your "lag" may be internet based. It'll freeze for a second then teleport you a little ways perhaps. This can be common if a server is beyond it's available limit to send and receive packets from 10 people.

Try playing with only 6 people and see if the game runs smoother.

But hey an i3 is pretty much way newer and faster than what your using now, so I hope it responded better :thup:

Not knowing what games you play, some are less CPU intensive and more GPU bound, others vary. But it appears from your specs that you've got an older system and it's components. As ShrimpBrime says, your best upgrade for most, not all, gaming without upgrading MB and RAM is still the GPU.

Where are you located? There may be some upgrades you can afford depending on how easy it is to get parts to your location.

Im located in Greece but i guess the advantage of betting the 6400+ processor would be too little to even bother. My lag is clearly from the graphics, i have a constant 50-80 fps in the server that im playing. People told me that aion is more of a cpu intensive game and i have to agree after seeing how the game runs on an i3..

Im not too sure if it would be worth getting a motherboard that could support phenom CPU's but at the same time support my current ddr2 memories as well. I guess i would see some performance boost but i dont know..

My thoughts are that your RAM will keep you from going forward into a newer generation of MB + CPU. RAM is expensive lately and for you to go into an i3 or better set-up you'd need DDR3 as well.

With a new generation chipset (9*-series) + RAM (DDR4) + CPUs coming out by the end of the year (projected) there may be some downward price pressure on DDR3 later this year, maybe for 3rd generation MBs and CPUs as well, who knows? But that would give you some time to stash any extra coin for a decent upgrade as that's probably going to give you the best bang for your buck and gaming pleasure in the near term.

Back