• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT Kraken G10 GPU bracket with Corsair H50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert17

Premium Member
Well, it looks like the plan is coming together.

First, thank you to Ninjacore for the HIS R9 290X, Nebulous for the idea to plop an AIO on it, and Supertrucker for keeping me from wasting time teasing my brain on the H60 idea.

I had spare parts, a Corsair H50 and H60 laying around idle and found the Kraken G10 reviewed on Legit Reviews (they used an NZXT Kraken X40 Asetek based AIO cooler for thier review) after swapping PMs with Nebulous; he has an H80 installed on his GPU with a custom bracket. I saw that the G10 has a fan purposed above the VRM area and thought that would be a gooderer idea so went with it, $30 from NZXT. Should have used NewEgg as I placed the order with NZXT on Saturday, 4/5, and they didn't get it shipped until Thursday, 4/10. Same price from both. From my previous experience NewEgg is next business day shipping. Nevertheless.........

First, I recommend that you grow that third hand you've always wanted. Even with the right tools, it was cumbersome at times holding on to the tidbits while manipulating them into a coherent oneness.

Da box:

Kraken G10.JPG

Da pieces: bracket, backplate, fan, fasteners and foam, instructions (well done, especially considering some I've seen in the past)

G10 kit contents.JPG

HIS R9 290X with stock HS and fan shroud removed

HIS HS removed.JPG

Da back plate

G10 back plate.JPG

Kraken G10 with Corsair H50 mounted

H50 installed.JPG

and into the Phantom it goes; that's correct, there's a bit of dust which I cleaned out after the snap; and wire management went out the window for a while

Phantom.JPG

1)system idle

Z87A at 4.1 H100i R9 290X stock.png

2)system load, Folding for 20 minutes (1-1/2 frames) with 3C/6T on the 4770k and the R9 290X

R9 290X with H50 folding.png

system cool down for 5 minutes after folding

Here was screeny far below showing temps on Corsair Link on the R9 290X before adding the bracket and H50

Looks to me like a 28°C improvement over the stock cooling on the HIS GPU when Folding, 5°C difference when idle although I didn't post a pre-H50 idle screen shot. The R9 290X with reference cooling is known to run hot; this info was all over the web at introduction back in the fall. It looks like some of the AIB partners are also doing a good job with their efforts as well. As far as noise, hmmm. I set the Link software on a performance curve and crank up my other case fans when Folding, particularly overnight or when I'm gone from home. I can hear it but it's not obnoxious; then again, I'm no spring chicken and between age, rock n' roll and lot's of gun fire over the years, my hearing isn't as good as when I was a kid. But even in quiet mode the cooling seems to be as effective as in performance mode, so there ya go.

Attachments

• R9 290X post folding cool down.png
    R9 290X post folding cool down.png
    477 KB · Views: 5,545
  • 4770k with R9 290X Folding.png
    4770k with R9 290X Folding.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 5,517
I had a good excuse to revisit my cooling setup this weekend, had a blade fly off the a fan and got the dogs excited. Part of the repair to Unit #1 was to replace a 120mm side fan. But tinkering is as tinkering does. I removed a 200mm side fan and made room for another 120mm in push configuration to go with the 120mm in pull on the rad for the Thermaltake Water 3.0 that is attached to my R9 290X via the Kraken G10 bracket as related above in the mod notes.

I caught a screey after F@H had been running about 10-15 minutes which is plenty of time for the temps to max out. Push/pull seems to be the way to go:
AIO GPU mount update 30Aug15.png

Ha! Thinking of doing the same and came across this thread. Forgot all about ever owning that 290X or selling it to you! Glad to see it's still chugging along.

Nice write up :thup:

Any issues with VRM temps. Tried overclocking the card at all?

hmm, wonder if I could so something totally wasteful and crazy, and watercool my Geforce 210 with that *with a little modding of course* then jack the 210 as far as it can go.

Complete waste of time and money.

Any issues with VRM temps. Tried overclocking the card at all?

I have OC'd the card when not folding and hit some mildly encouraging numbers but didn't screen cap them. Never seem to have any VRM issues as that would cause some GPU resets IIRC and I never have any. The card has been a joy to own.:cool:

I couldn't help but notice the 94c GPU temp in the attached image. Maybe I missed something here but was that before the AIO cooling on the GPU? If it was well that's amazing than.

I would also say, you might be able to shed a few temps if you get that cable management under control. I know its a pain to see and do as I can't stand doing it as well but think it should be done. Just grab a bunch of zip ties and bunch them up and tuck them somewhere.

Nonetheless, great temps overall.

I couldn't help but notice the 94c GPU temp in the attached image. Maybe I missed something here but was that before the AIO cooling on the GPU? Yes, before I installed the first AIO, the H50. The H50 started to fail (it was about 3-4 years old and ran on my 965BE and 3770k 24/7). If it was well that's amazing than.

I would also say, you might be able to shed a few temps if you get that cable management under control. I did. I snapped the pic after the install but before the final clean-up; dumb? yes. I know its a pain to see and do as I can't stand doing it as well but think it should be done. Just grab a bunch of zip ties and bunch them up and tuck them somewhere.

Nonetheless, great temps overall.
Thanks.

I had posted in a different thread when I replaced the H50 with the TT 3.0; then here again when I changed the fan config. When I first peeked this A.M. the GPU temp was 54°C, CPU @ 60°C. Overall a decent configuration for my needs.

Back