• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tbrooks

I currently have a 2500K CPU.
in your opinion should I go with a 2600K or a 3770K?
This is my main rig and runs 24/7 so I want cool and crunch hard

2500K is probably still overkill.

They have lots of power. I'd stick with the 2500K :thup:

I currently have a 2500K CPU.
in your opinion should I go with a 2600K or a 3770K?
This is my main rig and runs 24/7 so I want cool and crunch hard

I believe the answer here is always the same FASTER HARDER HIGHER....nothing else counts.

Thus the 3770k is cooler, faster and just better. Is there any other choice?

Have you overclocked your 2500K yet? I hear their good overclockers with the right board.

bit late here, i would upgrade the cpu to one with HT. even if at the same speed as your current cpu, you can do even more work. Im looking to see where my i3-370m peeters out at, 2.4ghz dual core+HT, so far after about two days its around 100RAC. im not sure how RAC has changed over the years as far as its based. my old Atom 330 setup would chrun out about 330-360RAC depending on the week/WU given. that is really slow performance wise compared to the i3-370m.

at the very least i would get a 26k and oc it a bit, if you have to go cheap.

2500K is retired and I jumped all in with a 4790K an a Z97 board.

Very Nice!
My 4770K is currently putting out just over 5400 RAC on a Z97 board and slowly climbing. Once it tops out, I'll be clocking it up to 4.5GHz to see what kind of increase we get. Thinking of putting it under water tbh, just figuring out the parts I'll need for a loop in this new case.

Very Nice!
My 4770K is currently putting out just over 5400 RAC on a Z97 board and slowly climbing. Once it tops out, I'll be clocking it up to 4.5GHz to see what kind of increase we get. Thinking of putting it under water tbh, just figuring out the parts I'll need for a loop in this new case.

Both of My 4770K's run Rosetta no problem at 4.7 with H100 coolers. When I had the one on Linux it was at 4.9 but really pushing temps.

I went with the MSI Gaming 7 motherboard. First non Asus board ive had and really impressed with it.

I went with the MSI Gaming 7 motherboard. First non Asus board ive had and really impressed with it.

I've had a few non Asus boards. A Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 which ran my Q9550(loved those gaudy colors!), and a Foxconn Bloodrage which ran an i7-950. Probably tied for my favorite setups of all time as that's when I was in my Air Cooled benching phase and got my best scores. Those two rigs did the majority of my crunching for Rosetta as well, so they go worked really hard. Sold all that hardware in working order too!

Lets touch base this winter and see what we can clock these things to. I dont expect much out of this 4790k but who knows. My two 4770K's will play better with yours and we can maybe throw some help back and forth.

Back