• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clock/Time problem after overclocking 4770K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kurogane

Hi guys, this is my first post here (and I'm not exactly sure if I'm posting in the right subforum either, haha).

I recently overclocked my 4770K, just yesterday, to be specific. I stress tested it with IBT (max level, 10 times) and ran it through AIDA64 for 8 hours. The processor didn't overheat and throttle down during either IBT or AIDA64, nor did it blue screen on me. The only problem I have is that during the stress tests, my computer's clock (the actual clock indicating the time) would suddenly be off by an hour by the time I check back (which varied quite a bit, sometimes I would notice the clock is off after being gone for 20 minutes and sometimes I would see the clock being completely off after 3 hours). I initially assumed that this was normal during stress tests and just ignored it after changing the time back. But today I turned on the computer and found the time to be completely off again, again I would resync the clock and again it would suddenly be an hour behind after a while (played some DCS World and Arma2 for testing purposes, both which I believe are more CPU intensive). Now I'm concerned about if I actually have a stable setup or not and if this is an indication of a greater problem somewhere (could I possibly have damaged the processor during the tests?). This has only began happening after I overclocked my processor and googling has led me to no actual answer other than "CMOS battery is close to dying, replace it".

Is there anyone here who had this problem before? If so, are there any solutions to my dilemma? Much appreciated if you do. Below is my current system specs that I believe to relevant to the topic at hand.

CPU - i7 4770K (1.28V 4.60GHz, changed through UFEI BIOS by changing the multiplier to 46, didn't touch anything else)
Motherboard - ASUS Maximus Hero VI (rev.0804, came with the board and I never bothered to upgrade)
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (DDR3 1600)

On a side note, I use pool.ntp.org for my time server. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but just in case.

Last edited:
No, that is not normal, even when stress testing. I have never heard of this problem before.

Does this time shift occur in bios and in windows or just in widows? If in bios I would look to see if there is a bios update.

The time shift happened again. I checked and it indeed changes in the BIOS, so I changed it to the *then* correct time. I turned off my computer, shut down the PSU, and unplugged the cable from the PSU for a few minutes then plugged everything back and turned it on again. When the computer turned on, the time was at what I set in the BIOS, which was a few minutes ago. I want to refrain from updating the BIOS because apparently revision 0804 is the most stable for overclocking. If anyone who has this motherboard happens to come across this thread, some input would be greatly appreciated.

Another question, is the time supposed to constantly advance when in the BIOS? Because when I went to the BIOS to change the time, it was static, the seconds weren't changing and it was stuck at the time when I turned the computer off.

EDIT: I just cleared the RTC RAM on my board. The BIOS clock is running again. Hopefully this fixes the time jump problem.

Last edited:
The problem seems to have gone away after I cleared the RTC a second time and turned down the Vcore to 1.265. It's been fine for a day now, going to keep monitoring to see if the BIOS clock suddenly stops again.

Back