• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Water Cooler ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davide2

Took out the AMD 8150 for a 9590. first was air cooled but too noisy. Tried Cooler Master Seidon 240 and after 10 hrs, Pump started making noise.

Now trying Kraken NZXT and it's Pump is starting to make a little noise.

The Pump on the Cooler Master sounded like it was scraping the housing so that was probably failing. The NZXT has just a little ticking sometimes, though not as much noise as the CM.

Is this normal for the Pumps to make a lil noise?

Any pump will make noise, how much and if it is tollerable is a personal choice. Truth be told you could get (2) of the same AIO and the pump harmonics would be slightly different. My TT Water 2.0 Extreme is over two years old and has a slight buzz to it, but nothing I would consider out of line.

Most of them use the Asetek pump, but if memory serves a few use the Coolit solution, I think Coolit was bought by Corsair ? thought I remeber reading something on this but not sure

http://asetek.com/desktop/cpu-coolers/570lx.aspx

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/desktop.html

For AIO coolers any noises should be taken seriously. You should try to locate the noise and possibly RMA the cooler. For custom loops troubleshooting is typically easier and most of the noise problems are just air bubbles in the pump housing.
Sealed AIOs shouldn't have this problem. You can try tilting your case side to side slowly to see if the noise changes.
Random faint ticking from the pump isn't necessary a big problem but it is worth investigating.

I have a CM 240L and the pump is dead quiet. I've owned and installed for others dozens of Corsair AIO's, you sometimes get a pump the has impeller noise (you can feel this on the pump) , these you need to RMA. Sometimes the AIO's have some air in the loop and can make intermittent noise as this air goes thru the pump. The only fix I've found other than RMA is to open the loop and bleed the system, can be a pita. I set the loop up at the kitchen sink, use a extra piece of hose and a small vessel with distilled h2o to circulate the coolant as I tilt the rad and pump to get all the air out. Most these AIO's use a glycol based anti corrosive because of the aluminum rads. If you open it be sure you add some corrosion additive like Feser Base or equivalent. Some just use antifreeze. YMMV

AIO pumps shouldn't be making any abnormal noises. A type of hum is ok. In general no pump should be making screeching noises etc. It could be that it is running air bubbles or dry, which will result to it's own death. Try hanging the radiator to a position where it would store the air trapped in the sealed loop at the highest point away from the pump.

Also, if you're think about opening a sealed loop, hope you realize you will be voiding your warranty.

AIO pumps shouldn't be making any abnormal noises. A type of hum is ok. In general no pump should be making screeching noises etc. It could be that it is running air bubbles or dry, which will result to it's own death. Try hanging the radiator to a position where it would store the air trapped in the sealed loop at the highest point away from the pump.

Also, if you're think about opening a sealed loop, hope you realize you will be voiding your warranty.

Good idea on the rad placement. The Corsair units have a press on hose clamp and opening does void warranty. The CM units I have worked with use a normal screw type hose clamp.

Back