• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 year 24/7 overclock now unstable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

Well my computer recently started to BSOD and i thought it was the video card i just got open box but after running Cpuid i noticed my vcore jumping from 1.51v which is where i had it over volted to, to 1.524. And it kept jumping back and forth between those two.

So i was wondering :shrug: which of these do you guys think is going bad

MOBO

CPU

PSU

All have been in the computer for 3 years.

Im going to upgrade within the year anyway but i had to bring it back to stock to get it stable and that hurts me in ARMA 3. :( Im going Devils canyon this time so it will be mid year before i get the new system. I was just gonna get a new psu or mobo if thats what you guys thing it is.

thanks all,

Shadowlid

What were the BSOD errors, which OS are you running, and what are your system spec's? And a Vcore variance of only .014v is nothing to worry about.

Well my computer recently started to BSOD and i thought it was the video card i just got open box but after running Cpuid i noticed my vcore jumping from 1.51v which is where i had it over volted to, to 1.524. And it kept jumping back and forth between those two.

So i was wondering :shrug: which of these do you guys think is going bad

MOBO

CPU

PSU

All have been in the computer for 3 years.

Im going to upgrade within the year anyway but i had to bring it back to stock to get it stable and that hurts me in ARMA 3. :( Im going Devils canyon this time so it will be mid year before i get the new system. I was just gonna get a new psu or mobo if thats what you guys thing it is.

thanks all,

Shadowlid

I don't think it degraded, not at all. Has yours? Could be the mobo, or it might not have been a stable oc..

Yes this is my second CPU the fist one degraded. He said it was overclocked for 3 years. and now he is running the CPU at stock speed and it's running fine, that is what happens when a CPU is degraded, that is why they call it degraded.

But degradation isn't really typical with the Phenoms. Even 1.5v which seems high for that clock shouldn't damage the CPU. I've had a 965 running nearly daily at similar clocks and volts for nearly five years. I'm thinkin mobo or even PSU

I haven't experienced degradation myself, so I can't say for certain I guess. I've always used more vcore then people recommend, including yourself, and no problems yet, even on 32nm which has had its fair share of abuse over the years lol :thup:

Good chance it's the motherboard with bad caps, even when not bulging or leaking..... (Sounds like faulty caps, even if they're polies)

.014v really isn't that bad.. Maybe an LLC setting? If it is the caps, just add moar vcore and run it till it drops, or back off the oc a bit :thup:

It could be the psu, or the board, or both.. I have aTX850 that isn't strong enough to run my system with a hard oc anymore :shrug:

If you have a bad Capacitor, it is bad all the time and nothing will make your system stable.

Electrical symptoms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

As an electrolytic capacitor ages, its capacitance usually decreases and its equivalent series resistance (ESR) usually increases. The capacitance may abnormally degrade to as low as 4% of the original value, as opposed to an expected 50% capacity degradation over the normal life span of the component. When this happens, the capacitors no longer adequately serve their purpose of filtering the direct current voltages on the motherboard, and a result of this failure is an increase in the ripple voltage that the capacitor is supposed to filter out. This results in a system instability. Capacitors with high ESR and low capacitance can make power supplies malfunction, sometimes causing further circuit damage. In computers, CPU core voltage or other system voltages may fluctuate or go out of range, possibly with an increase in CPU temperature as the core voltage rises.

Similar thing happened on my BE lately. I upgraded to a 290 not long ago and everything was fine at first, still ran at 4.1 no problems at all. I replaced the 290 cooler with an aftermarket cooler to eliminate the fan noise. Cools much better but the heat is not directed out the back now and blows around inside the box. Not a problem until I played BF4, then CPU temps would hover around 53c sometimes spiking farther and causing BSOD. It turned out it wasn't just the heat but the 290 also had a significant power draw on my single rail PSU. It had been running fine for years at 1.43 but now it needs 1.476 to run fully stable, it does jump up to 1.52 at times when playing a game but adjusting the H100I up a little keeps the chip under 50 in a game and no more BSOD. The open box video card could be enough to push it over the edge by added heat and power draw playing a game.

Back