• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Calculations On The Fly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Witchdoctor

What up Overclockers

Relativly new here,

Please excuse the spelling

Please, everyone that can contribute please do as we are all here to learn and improve. None of us never know when we may stubbblke onto something that helps

The point of this thread is to collectivly try to come up with a common sense approach using math and temps to calculate the cooling potential of a single 120 mm radiator. I would like to do this with two solutions

1. High RPM say around 2000 to 2200 and a tight fin config or high FPI for those that are not oppsed to noise in the persuit of preformance and those who simply can not accomidate the rad surface required for quite operation diue to enclosure constraints

2. Low RPM say around 800 to 1000 and a loose config or low FPI for those who are opposed to noise and are aproaching water cooling to silence the best with in

This was a post from another thread and out of respect for the topic and a sugestion from another member is why I made this thread.

I am not very good at this stuff. trying to nail down data on what a 120mm RAD will dissipate at a said RMP ..

Reading on Google I am trying come up as an average and while every case is a bit different due to ambient and noise and rad selection I think I have come up with a decently close average at two sets of speeds. Being I have no idea what i am talking about perhaps you can help me in the vision to try to come up with a type of lets say rule of thumb 120 mm rad at given speeds as to be able to come up with quick rad area on the fly.

Here is what I have come up with

120.1 mm at 2200 RPM = 75 watts

120.1 mm At 1100 RPM = 50 watts

these are bases upon the 60mm performance moderately spaced FPI that would preform well under both air flow conditions say a AC60 for instance

How far off do you think I am or am I simply way off on the loads using max TDP of said components,

Apologize to OP for off topic, just trying to get my head wrapped around this

Thanks

i will continue to do research and comntribute as much as possible

we will need to assume a indoor ambient, throw in your two cents, i think 22C would be a good number ?

+1, this study has been done before, and is in our sticky threads too. :)

Martin's did it by rad, which is better since each rad will perform different. So while this may put you in the ballpark, why not look at Martin's?

Last edited:
Back