• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Controller / PWM Booster / Regulator / Converter / Etc. Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
By way of update, I got some parts and waiting for some more.

Meanwhile, I redesigned my 9-Channel USB PWM Fan Controller to a 10 Channel USB PWM Fan controller with these extras:
1) 2x16 monochrome LCD support (software is WIP)
2) 2xstatus LEDS (for debugging. software is WIP, but i'll probably allow user-control)
3) Temp sensor (this modular/wired. so it can be put against motherboard/cpu/gpu/hdd/whatever)

I've also had some time to work on the firmware and software. I've basically re-written the app ground up in WPF (so I can make it look nicer later on)
Software now implements:
1) slider for fans
2) temperature readings
3) Fan calibration (i.e. tries duty cycles 0 -100 to see what duty cycles give what RPM/% fan speed)\

Software update:

n2zioy.jpg

While still waiting for the parts, I started preparing a breadboard. It resulted in a 150x100mm config for the 10 fans and other output/input (LED, LCD, Thermistor, ICSP).
(Pin headers for Fans missing, and the PIC18F4550 Those are the only parts I've been waiting on.

2myai5c.jpg

I went nuts here and decided to solder bridge everything. Was first time experimenting with this particular board. The pads make it fairly easy to solder bridge.

23tys4.jpg

Although I liked the design and soldering outcome, I didn't like the size and decided to etch my own board. Having some extra spare time, I learnt how to use Eagle, re-designed the board, learnt (thanks internet!) how to etch boards, printed, got some copper clad and experimented a bit. For those who use Eagle, I've only used it 2 days now and REALLY hate the autorouter. It probably uses the worst algorithms there are. I tried a lot of times with different parameters but eventually just gave up. What you see on the board below is what I fully manually routed (yes, can probably improve).

I just now finally etched the board and cleaned it, and guess what... I got my parts earlier today! The only thing to progress this project further is to drill the newly baked pcb tomorrow, solder the parts. After that's done I'll have a complete prototyping board to fully work on the firmware and software.
(you will notice I forgot it's now a 10 channel fan controller, but still etched '9 channel' on it, it's just a typo )

11abghc.jpg

Photo of PCB, iphone 4s and 250mL up&go for size comparison

faoeuh.jpg

Btw this is what I would call my "proper prototyping board". It wouldn't necessarily be what the end user would have/use. For example I've provided pin-outs for all the pins of the IC and also ICSP, which would normally not be included in a final product

Last edited:
I too have stopped using the autorouter, it just doesn't do a very good job.
For running fans you're going to want significantly thicker 12v and ground traces, those look like 0.016 or so, which at that length can do well less than an amp if I recall correctly. I figure 0.25a for a generic fan, so ten would be 2.5 amps.
As a test board it looks great.

For running fans you're going to want significantly thicker 12v and ground traces, those look like 0.016 or so, which at that length can do well less than an amp if I recall correctly. I figure 0.25a for a generic fan, so ten would be 2.5 amps.

Thanks for the tip! I will make sure to use the correct ratings on the final version.

Looking at the specs on formfactors.org, fan should be allowed to spike at least 1a.
By my calculations for 10a, at 0.016inches, I would need a thickness of about 0.025 inches. Can you please double check this?
Would soldering on top the 12v and gnd traces work to add thickness?

The length of the trace is what you want to plug into that calculator. It'll be a lot wider than 0.025.
Putting solder on top will increase the amount is current the trace can take, how much is hard to say.

The length of the trace is what you want to plug into that calculator. It'll be a lot wider than 0.025.
Putting solder on top will increase the amount is current the trace can take, how much is hard to say.

Using calculator at circuitcalculator.com
10amps, 1mm (0.03937 inches) thickness (trace +with solder), 200mm trace length (overestimate) requires about 0.252mm (0.0099 inches) thickness.

Apparently trace length doesn't matter for such small circuits. I get similar results from 200mm trace length to 1km when using that calculator :/ only resistance (and vdrop) is affected by length?

Any interest in a serial (or USB) controller for these strips? http://www.adafruit.com/products/1138

60 RGB LEDs per meter, individually addressable 24bit color.
I have two meters, it's really really cool stuff. Amazingly bright.

Are those the same as the generic WS2801 type strips that can be found on ebay? I'd be interested if they would work with your controller.

I'd also be interested in a simple dimmer type controller for non-addressable single color and/or RGB 12v LED strips if you had any ideas along those lines.

And I know it's cheesy, but I'd be really interested a sound reactive controller. Something that could accept as input a line level audio signal.

PWM dimming is very easy, no issues there.
I have a strip of the WS2801 chips, that's what I was figuring on aiming the controller at (I think it's the same data format as the Adafruit strips, not positive).

Sound reactive seems doable, I've never done it but that hasn't stopped me in the past.

Ameel, here is some links to PCB software.

Advanced Circuits
PCBExpress
Sunstone
PCBonline

I would link Ivex but they went out of business years ago.

You missed a nice FOSS option :)

KiCAD

Thanks guys. I've actually gone with Eagle. It's quite alright when you make an effort to learn to use it

That said, check out my thread here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7702319

I'm posting detailed logs of my progress

I discovered the existence of the Atmel Attiny4/5/9/10 series of microcontrollers and just had to make something with one.
Why?
Despite having a full AVR CPU core and a 16 bit timer with two capture/compare registers, they're tiny.
Both physically and in code space / RAM.
How tiny? Physically they are 0.114" x 0.11" / 2.9mm x 2.8mm including the six pins. They have 512 bytes or 1k of flash program storage, externally writable only.
They have 32 bytes of RAM. Not k, in k we're talking 0.023kB of RAM, 256 bits if you prefer.
Oh and they cost $1.05 each.
Fun challenge!

The 5/10 have an 8 bit ADC, so a fan controller came to mind. Tthe PCB I came up with, it's 0.43x0.57 inches (11x15mm), or 0.245 square inches. With an onboard trimmer! I need to find a single turn pot with this pad layout, I know they exist. 11 turns is a bit much for a fan controller, really.
It even has solder jumpers for extra features, assuming I can squeeze them into the 32 bytes of RAM. I think I can.
Has connection points for an external pot, too.

This render is a little bit outdated, there's a header for the middle trimmer pin on the left side of the board now, to make it easier to use an external pot.
Ignore the silkscreen, it won't be printed on the pads like the render shows.
ultra micro PWM attiny10 controller PCB.png

So compact Bob. I drew a box with the dimensions you quoted to see what the actual physical size is - I was quite surprised!

Will this replace the PWM controller from the other thread?

Hello Good Day to Overclockers Forum , I am calman for florida.. I have never purchased a PC computer We always built my machine with SCSI HDD thus I was to tell folks I have a" PC /with MAC Parts" , although now their based on Imtel Specs.

I am here about my New Build a CM HAF_X Case Tower with Six 200mm Fans , Four 120m fans ,three radiators, a Vega Heater Core, a single 120mm fan/rad , SR1 360 rad with three(3) Delta AFC1212DDOO .PWM.DC12.0.80A, in whch the problems in Controlling RPM's , I need a ""PWM controller" to better accomplish the task at hand and so I donot damage my , MSI Z77a gd65 gaming motherboard.
I would like to see if I can work out a Deal on there good looking PCB based PWM CONTROLLER on Overclockers forums, Thamk For Reading . . . .Calman....

Back