• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI R9 270 BSOD after overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToxicPhantom

Registered
I recently upgraded my rig, and I can't overclock my R9 270. I tried MSI afterburner and Sapphire Trixx. Both gave me a blue screened after 5 seconds of UH4 or any video game. I set the core clock to 1050mhz, memory to 1500mhz, and fan speed set to auto. I click apply, open my favorite game, and bam blue screen. I am really dissapointed, I bought this card with the intention of overclocking it and now it wont overclock. I followed some tutorials, and I am pretty sure I am doing everything right. She just wont overclock :confused:

My specs:
FX-6300
CX500
4GB Kingston Hyper-x
ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS
MSI R9 270

Is there anyway to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

You know overclocking isn't guaranteed, correct?
Is the rest of the system at stock?

Can you post screenshots of CPUz's CPU, Mem, and SPD tabs?
Also, run Prime95 for 15 minutes with HWMonitor running and post a screenshot of that.

You know overclocking isn't guaranteed, correct?
Is the rest of the system at stock?

Can you post screenshots of CPUz's CPU, Mem, and SPD tabs?
Also, run Prime95 for 15 minutes with HWMonitor running and post a screenshot of that.
JH6EWj4.png
krVziTr.png
PgiFNsD.png
1QECbgs.png

Looks like your RAM isn't running in dual channel mode, assuming you have more than one stick.

You didn't have HWMonitor running for the Prime95 screenshot. It'll show important temperatures for me.

Yea, I only have one stick of memory. Darn, I thought HWMonitor was a check box in Prime 95. It's a separate program, my bad. Here is a screenshot.

Ur630rT.png

Those temps are already pretty high for the CPU/motherboard, I wonder if the BSOD is because of overheating in that regard.

Do you know what the BSOD code was?

Those temps are already pretty high for the CPU/motherboard, I wonder if the BSOD is because of overheating in that regard.

Do you know what the BSOD code was?

Unfortunately I missed the code. The FX-6300 is on the stock cooler, and my case doesn't have very good airflow. For an added bonus my cable management sucks. Blue screened due to overheating? I don't think so, maybe I am wrong. It runs with no issue in OC mode(975mhz) with the MSI gaming app. But when I overclock it, bam. Blue screens every time like clockwork when I launch a game.

We see BSODs due to overheating all the time.

Try testing the OC with Unigine Heaven.

The BSOD logs would be in %SystemRoot%\Minidump
If they are there, you could attach them in a post for us to see.

I remembered an important detail that I forgot to mention. I bought this card used from a former miner on the cheap. In the description it said and I quote "may or may not be undervolted to 1.1v". As you can see in the HWMonitor screenshot the voltage on the gpu reads 1.100v. Should I overvolt it to default voltage, and if so by how much? I don't want to damage anything...

Take the side of the case off and put a house fan blowing into the case.
See if it stops BSODing then.
I will try that later today, unless I can fix the voltage. That is, if it is undervolted and I can overvolt it to default levels.

The BSOD logs would be in %SystemRoot%\Minidump
If they are there, you could attach them in a post for us to see.
What should I use to open them? With Notepad/Wordpad it is just a bunch of unreadable symbols.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. Can't I just increase the voltage to proper levels in Trixx or Afterburner and attempt the overclock again?

You can, but you would have to have an overclock profile run at startup every time for that voltage to stick.

If you flash the stock BIOS back then it'll have the voltage without extra software running.

I would test with Afterburner, after looking up the stock voltage, and see where it puts you though.

I remembered an important detail that I forgot to mention. I bought this card used from a former miner on the cheap. In the description it said and I quote "may or may not be undervolted to 1.1v". As you can see in the HWMonitor screenshot the voltage on the gpu reads 1.100v. Should I overvolt it to default voltage, and if so by how much? I don't want to damage anything...

I will try that later today, unless I can fix the voltage. That is, if it is undervolted and I can overvolt it to default levels.

What should I use to open them? With Notepad/Wordpad it is just a bunch of unreadable symbols.

You need a BSOD viewer... Can't link, I'm at school, but I have the tools at home.

You can, but you would have to have an overclock profile run at startup every time for that voltage to stick.

If you flash the stock BIOS back then it'll have the voltage without extra software running.

I would test with Afterburner, after looking up the stock voltage, and see where it puts you though.

I haven't a clue how to do a bios flash. Running an overclock profile with the stock voltage of 1.188v doesn't sound too bad at all. I will set it to 1.188v and attempt the overclock again later today. By the way, the card will run at 1.1v before Trixx starts. Will regularly switching from 1.1v to 1.88v damage the card? Cheers.

Back