• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA Tegra K1 Compared To AMD AM1 APUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_tk1_amdam1&num=1

well if the price is right on the dev boards and they work out of the box with linux be it Ubuntu or mint or other flavor of modified linux for arm. those that like linux could have a few choices for their rigs in the low power segment. i still wonder what a small arm of arm based linux rigs doing seti or rosetta would do for points. with the K1 though, you would have the chance to tap into the 192 cuda cores for GPGPU, would make for even more powerful mining rigs.

The performance was a little better than I expected, tbh. However, the issue for Nvidia is power usage and that the 5150/5350 won't be competitors to the K1, but rather AMD's upcoming Beema/Mullins chips. According to initial tests, the new AMD Mullins chip should perform just a little bit slower than the 5150 in the phoronix test (http://techreport.com/review/26377/a-first-look-at-amd-mullins-mobile-apu/3) but it only has a 4.5 W TDP.

Whereas initial reports of the K1 in this type of configuration give a TDP of ~9 W, double that of the Mullins. A Mullins/Beema chip with twice the TDP should beat the K1 pretty handily as an average. Of course graphics performance is still unknown as well, but I'd be surprised if Nvidia could pull out a major win against AMD's chips at the same wattage. I have a feeling that the K1 will suffer from the same things as Tegra 4, even though it is a better chip all around. Namely, too power hungry for the increased (graphics) performance next to closest competitors, and lack of some SOC features compared to competition will make it a tough sell for Nvidia. Just IMO of course.

Back