• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative X-fi Fatal1ty Help installing??!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jumpbackjdj

Registered
Hi, im a rookie trying to install this Sound-blaster X-fi Fatal1ty sound card with the xfi I/O front panel controller. Contents are the sound card, the I/O front panel controller, and two cables. The cables plug into the back of the sound card which is installed, then they connect to the back of the front panel controller. Here's where im having a brain fart. There is an additional connection in the back of the front panel controller for an auxiliary cable... my question is where the heck to i connect the auxiliary cable once i plug it into the front panel controller???

I am currently using the MOBO sound, and my dvd drive is connected to the mobo. What do i need to do?? Help me. please. :shock::confused:

thanks so much in advance. Oh, my mother board is the Gigabite Z77X-UD5H.

any illustrations in the manual?
I ask because I cant find a soft copy of the manual to download... just creative page after page of promising the earth with it. lol

theyve got me annoyed before I start... creative tonka`s :-/

I think what you are referring to plugs into a CD/DVD-ROM drive.

The analog audio output from the optical drive is almost never used nowadays and many (if not most) modern drives don't even support it. It was a holdback to the DOS days when some games used the CD for background music/sound effects and CPU was scarce.

so do i need to plug it into the drive to make it all work correctly? im so lost... thanks.

thanks for the reply. So, i don't need the auxiliary hook up at all? are you familiar with what im hooking up? thanks.

You don't need it. Even if you do play some DOS games, the emulator will emulate the CD audio handling.

frontPanelAudioUSB.jpg

If the aux connector you are referring to looks like the connector on the left, that's the front panel audio cable. Though, I don't imagine you'd need to connect that to the sound card considering it already has it's own discrete connection to the front panel unit.

If your case itself has a front panel connector like the image on the left you should still be able to hook that up to your sound card in addition to the sound card's own front panel unit.

Once you get that all hooked up the software installation for creative soundcards is usually pretty straight forward so you shouldn't have any trouble there.

Back