• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not really sure where to start....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmag1k

Registered
Ok. First things first. My system is becoming more unstable as the days go by. I blue screen at least a couple times a night. I've ran Whocrashed to analyze my crash dumps and it's telling me that I either have a Clock Watchdog Timeout and/or a Whea Uncorrectable Error.

I am over clocking my 2500k to 4700 and it's been stable until recently. It crashes at the weirdest times, not when it's under heavy load. I've had these blue screens before i overclocked but it is getting more frequent. I have a decent cooler, the hyper 212 and my temps rarely go over 50c.

The reason I don't know where to start is that I have always had an issue with blue screening that I think may be attributed to my SSD. I think there's always been a weird issue w/ my mobo and Corsair Force 3 SSD. I'm pretty sure I have multiple ssues going on here, and I'm wondering if I should purchase a new Samsung 840 Evo (newegg has the 250 priced at $134 for 5 more hours!), or a new ASRock mobo (open to suggestions).

I know I'm all over the place here, and should probably start by bringing my temps back to stock, but I really don't think thats the issue.

I guess my questions is two fold. Where should I start by fixing these BSOD, and what should be my new upgrade?

These are the Crash Dump Analysis by WhoCrashed:

On Tue 5/6/2014 11:35:55 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050614-10483-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x31, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880031D7180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 5/6/2014 7:53:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050614-10654-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800E2D7028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Last edited:
I know I'm all over the place here, and should probably start by bringing my temps back to stock, but I really don't think thats the issue.

I guess my questions is two fold. Where should I start by fixing these BSOD, and what should be my new upgrade?

You've answered your own question. Start with undoing your OC, set your BIOS back to default. You'll eliminate a number of variables with that one move.

Ok, I've reset my bios to default. We'll see what happens from here. While I'm waiting to see what issues prevail, looking at my current system specs, what would be my next upgrade? New mobo? I don't think there's a reason for me to get a new proc. I know I don't get the PCI 3.0 advantage due to my sandy bridge, but I don't think there's really that much of an increase by moving to ivy or haswell, anyway.

My video cards new. So maybe new mobo and faster ram?

+1 chasing issues= taking everything back to default.
and you can not go wrong getting that ssd, though the one you have is most unlikly your problem.

Before you buy anything, you need to figure out what the problem is with your current system. Otherwise you might spend all that money for new MB and SSD, and one of the parts you transfer over could be the problem child. You'd be a tad pissed if the same problems happened with the new parts, yes?

0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first, if not increase/decrease vcore...have to test to see which one it is

Straight from the overclocking BSOD guide

0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first, if not increase/decrease vcore...have to test to see which one it is

Straight from the overclocking BSOD guide

:shock:

wow, thank you greg. you are awesome. :attn:

Ok, so I solved my earlier problem with installing Win 8.1 on a new Samsung 840 250GB and decided to run stable at 4.40GHz.

Now I've got the itch and want to either try my hand at a customer watercooling setup and see how much further I can push my 2500k, or upgrade to an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 with a fancy new 4790k. Given the specs in my sig, what would you gents do?

If you go with water cooling you are going to be limited by the fan configuration of the case it looks like. Most serious water cooling radiators string two or three 120/140mm fans together in a line and it doesn't look like your case is configured that way. You'd have to do some creative modifying of the case itself which may include putting the rad on the outside.

If you go with water cooling you are going to be limited by the fan configuration of the case it looks like. Most serious water cooling radiators string two or three 120/140mm fans together in a line and it doesn't look like your case is configured that way. You'd have to do some creative modifying of the case itself which may include putting the rad on the outside.

As far as I can see from Wolfgheist's post, it looks as if he was able to get it to work. It's a really nice build, I must say. :attn:

Back