• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

INTEL i7 4770k or AMD FX-8350 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bischop

Im going to buy:

1) INTEL i7 4770k

or

2) AMD FX-8350

Witch one when im using it not only for games (usually not for games, when im playing games its only Starcraft 2). Im using PC to IT programming (Java/EE / HTML / JS / webbrowser with 50 - 150 tabs in same time / skype / some kind of application server).

I didnt picked motherboard for it - any suggestion?

amd fanboy here. 4770k performs better and the am3+ platform is dead. grab a 4770k and a good z87 board. but I think haswell is about to be redone so unless you need it right now holding out may pay off.

I needed a new build and honestly the intel build came out ten bucks cheaper. Same procs and all.

I needed a new build and honestly the intel build came out ten bucks cheaper. Same procs and all.

Yep, AMD looks cheaper only in theory looking at CPU price. When you compare all other components then price is almost the same while Intel is still faster and generates less heat.

I would pick one of the Z97 boards as they're already hitting the stores. Unlocked CPUs will be available in 1-2 months but I doubt they will introduce anything really new.
There were already performance tests of 1st samples and results are about the same for 4770 and 4790.

I'm actually leaning more towards power efficiency these days, from watching CoreTemp or HWmonitor or other similar apps my i7 3770K (OC'd to 4.2 or 4.5) tops at 38W while playing a CPU intensive game like Planetside 2, my FX 4350 (OC to 4.7) tops at 70W and has worse performance in PS2 than the i7 does even when the i7 is at 3.5GHz stock clock. At idle the i7 only uses 8-10W, FX 4350 25-27W. I didn't measure power consumption when I had my FX 8320.

That being said, I was an AMD fanboy since the mid 90's, I have to say Intel all the way right now.

I'm actually leaning more towards power efficiency these days, from watching CoreTemp or HWmonitor or other similar apps my i7 3770K (OC'd to 4.2 or 4.5) tops at 38W

I would think that 38 W is low for hyper threading enabled...

Back