• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coil whine, getting bad, isnt like others i;ve read up on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok so this is driving me batty, specs in sig.

I've got a nasty coil whine when my computer idles, or close to idling. like as I am typing this its just whining away. when its working on something or playing a game or something it stops. it has to be something substantial though, mp3's don't stop it, SD video doesn't either, HD lessens it.

i'm curious as to what it could be, I replaced the PSU recently and it didn't change, swapped video cards to no avail. less OC more OC stock doesnt change it

any ideas?

it seems worse lately but partly because I bought a new case after about 15 years and got a nanoxia deep silence 6, well everything else is a lot quieter but because of the type of whine it is the case doesnt do much to stop it. higher freq and all. some times I feel it makes me sick to my stomach...

Run Prime95 Small FFTs, does the whine stop?
Next, run Unigine Heaven, does the whine stop?

yes to all of those.
it seems like any substantial load stops it

Sounds like the coil whine is coming from the PSU to me.
If it was the motherboard or GPU it would only stop on one of those loads.

Looks like your easiest solution is to join the Folding team.

When you replaced the PSU, did you replace it with another one of the same brand or something else? Modern PSUs go into period skip mode at light load in order to improve efficiency, but I would at least expect the noise to change with a different PSU.

Also, does charging a phone or tablet (or several!) from the USB port change the noise? I wouldn't expect it to be enough to stop the noise, but it's possible if it was the 5V regulator making the noise.

Sounds like the coil whine is coming from the PSU to me.
If it was the motherboard or GPU it would only stop on one of those loads.

I've replaced the psu recently and it didn't change.
A variable I hadn't noticed till recently. Some times it starts with the computer other times it waits till it's been on a while

I replaced an ocz stealth x stream 600 watt with a corsair hx (?) 700 watt

Back