• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chilled Water Cooling Using Peltier/TEC Assembly Now 17 Months in Operation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't why it wouldn't fit your set up. One thing to note, if you see my CD rom drive. When sticking my bigger Gpu's in such as my 980 Classified K|ngp|n, it does take some finesse to get it in. I could probably just move it under my reservoir and solve that issue but that would take me not being too lazy to do it.

I have been looking at the Mountain Mods Extended Ascension case, and it is huge, I have a shelf above my desk my printer is on, that would have to be relocated just for it to sit on my desk.

My present setup is in 2 cases, one case houses all the cooling but the GPU radiator the Watercool MO-RA3 is side mounted, I would like to get it inside, the other case houses the main machine.

I also have plans in the works to make a new Insulated Reservoir, with more insulation to hold the cold longer, it will be quite larger than the present peltier insulated reservoir.

Well the Ascension would definitely fit the Mo Ra3 and certainly has a lot of room for the set up. Unfortunately, not many cases are available that will fit that radiator.

Well the Ascension would definitely fit the Mo Ra3 and certainly has a lot of room for the set up. Unfortunately, not many cases are available that will fit that radiator.

That's true!

And even the Mountain Mods Ascension doesn't have a side panel with the MO-RA3 fan configuration of 4 x 180mm, which means for me I would need a blank Ascension side panel and cut in the 180mm fan setup myself.

That is the most major reason I have not done it yet.

Yeah the 4x180 would be difficult you might be better off just fabricating your own case. Something like this but a bit bigger.

Lol with the amount of time you invested in putting that pelt system together I didn't expect that answer :)

Wow this is sweet!
Similar to what I originally had in mind.

Not sure if I should go with your setup, or volenti cooler now hmmm....
Nice job Silver Sufer! :thup:

Wow this is sweet!
Similar to what I originally had in mind.

Not sure if I should go with your setup, or volenti cooler now hmmm....
Nice job Silver Sufer! :thup:

It is not cheap to build or run, as it is active cooling that pulls an additional 400w with 2 TEC assemblies energized, over your main machines total load wattage, so that has to be a factor to take into consideration.

Lol with the amount of time you invested in putting that pelt system together I didn't expect that answer :)

It is also about disassembling a completely operational 2 case setup to house it all in one case that will occupy more area than presently being used height wise by the 2 cases.

Meaning raising the height of a fixed shelf over my desk, not to mention the cost of the MM Case will kill my Christmas SSD upgrade plans.

*sigh*
I officially give up on trying humor....I suck at it lol.

A nice smiley face :) helps understanding a humor point of view, you might try that?

And I could also work on the receiving end of getting comments as well!

My excuse is all the opposition I received in the beginning of testing various TEC configurations until I found a setup that actually worked.

I ran into so much negativity telling me this wouldn't work and that wouldn't work and if I had listened to their input I would not have this cooling operational today.

It took close to a year of experimentation to finally get this combination together, that if duplicated will yield the same cooling results.

I have a friend that has duplicated the components setup exactly and changed the loop order to see if it mattered, and discovered it did not matter and he gets the same cooling results.

This December 30th this cooling will be operational for 3 years.

I may be a bit late to this...but kudos for getting this to work! :salute:

I don't have the spare time to do something like this (I spend my spare time gaming and golfing!)

I might be able to offer you some "thoughts"...

WAY back when (in the late 1990s) when I did a lot of heavy electronics/firmware engineering (now I'm a COO do the COO stuff - hehe) I did a lot of work with TEC cooling. It was primarily focused on cooling signaling and communication lasers, and then we moved into some DoD work (which I can't talk about - hehe).

We added TEC coolers to the laser as it gave us rock-solid temperatures for the laser (laser wavelength will shift with temperature.) We went with the TEC approach mainly due to the fact that controlling temperature profiles was only limited by your cooling capacity and thermal mass. We had to both cool and heat the laser to keep the temperature stable (if you run current in the other direction, the "cool" side of the TEC will heat up). TECs are very inefficient cooling devices. However, they do give you many options that don't exist with other cooling methods.

As we were trying to make a commercial product, running straight DC current through the TEC proved ineffective. What we ended up doing was using a PWM signal and amplifying that through driver electronics. We chose H-Bridge motor controller ICs as they hit the current target we were aiming for. A thermistor measured the temperature, and we ran that into a spare A/D channel on our main DSP board. We ran the control loop in spare cycles in the DSP, and used one of the PWM motor control outputs to drive the H-bridge amplifier. After a coding a simple PI controller, we could dial in our temperature to whatever we wanted and everything happened automatically.

The PWM with control loop approach kept us from burning up the TEC (as we could set the PWM limit to 90% or so), and gave us an efficiency gain as we only used the extra power when we needed it. (You can easily build a PI controller with a few op amps.)

This was successful, and we launched the first commercial TEC cooled signal and communication laser products.

For the higher power DoD applications, we used our "standard" TEC, built a copper cooling plate, added more TEC, new cooling plate...effectively, we "stacked" TEC coolers in an inverted pyramid to cool the higher load. Each pyramid level having the cooling capability to cool the "load" and it's own power consumption, with a bit extra for design margin. Each TEC was setup with it's own H-bridge (with the drive current capability matching the TEC) and its own control loop. The "top" or "biggest" TEC layer was connected to an external cooling device to dissipate heat. The prototype was bulky, but you should have seen the look on people's faces when this thing took the laser from ambient to 10 C in half a second...and then kept it at 10 C during full load and modulation testing!!!

Hope this makes sense!

As Jack Oneal would say, "That was a waste of a perfectly good explanation!" Ref. Stargate Atlantis 1st episode.

But Thanks anyway! :)

The way I am setup I really have no need for any type of regulated voltage control as the peltiers just run constantly as soon as the machine is started up.

Two TEC assemblies are powered when the machine is powered and to a certain extent they are already voltage controlled as they are being fed 12v DC.

They are spec'd for 15.6v DC so since they are getting lower voltage than spec'd, they do not get as hot as they could, which allows me to cool them with an air cooler.

The fan speed on the air coolers will produce a constant stored cold in the reservoir consistently as 10c coolant temperature at a 23C ambient room temperature.

I can control my ambient so I can control the coolant temperature to a certain extent through ambient, I do not adjust the fan speeds as it took too long to get the balance it presently has.

I do have a 3rd TEC assembly can can be independently energized, but it is only powered for holding coolant temperature static during stress testing, or with some games.

I presently run a 3770K overclocked to 5ghz and the CPU has not been delidded, it takes at least 8c below ambient to support the 5ghz overclock under stress load and I normally run a coolant temperature of 10c which is 13c below ambient.

This coming December 30th will be this cooling solutions 3rd birthday. :)

Last edited:
Back