• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phantek Ethos primo What do you suggest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
Alright So i just ordered this chassis.
Now I own already XSPC RX120 + RX 240 + AX240 + AX360 Radiators on Intake And i'm pretty sure i can implement all of these Rads into this pc with top and top rear 140mm fans just doing exhausting of air.

Now I've been debating doing something else though.

I've been debating doing just 2x480 (120mmx4) Rads Both Exhausting air and then have the 2 intake 140mm and two Rear including 2ndary psu Spot 140mm intaking air = 4x 140mm intakes and 8x120mm Exhausting that fresh air through the Rads.

Using this thought process id prob do a Real thick 480 Rad in the bottom and a Semi thick 480 rad in the top to fit in the system nicely.

What do you guys think? use the rads i have or switch to dual 480's?

I set up my Primo with a 2x120 Monsta (push/pull) on the front intake and a 3x120 (push) on the top exhausting. It is dead silent and cools fantastic for my needs but if I had it to do over again I would have put a 4x120 on the top so I would recommend doing that. Assuming this will be going in the system labeled main in your sig, I can't say how it would cool that but changing to just two radiators will definitely look much cleaner than all those radiators linked up. Not to mention all the extra angled fittings you can cut out to save some cash.

I hate having rads eat the hot air of other rads my setup will not have that

With enough intake, like this case offers, you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't concern yourself with that but you do your own thing. Still add the 4 fan radiator up top regardless of what you do.

I'm in the same boat. I have 3 Thermochill PA120.3's and they'll do the job more than well enough but who doesn't love new hardware?

Its cooling 3770K I7 + Mobo Asrock Z77 OC FORMULA heatsink/block + 2x 290X with EKWB Full cover Copper Blocks.

Im just not sure that 2x 480 Rads would be worth all the extra money spent when you really wont be seeing the two 240's and would really only be seeing the nice 360 and the Nice thick RX120 at the back tied together.

I tend to think it wouldn't look too bad tbh perhaps since i already own them i should at least do a mock up and see how it looks.

Its likely i will have to remove the nice phantek Tub Res mount in order to fit the 2nd 290x in their. so i will have to put a Tube res at the back i think perhaps i'm wrong?

right now i have a MCP355 Pump / small tube res combo from swiftec that i put together but I would prob use the pump standalone if i have a case like this and use a nice large Res for looks.

I plan to just figure out my build before i pull this rig apart even if the Phantek case has to sit here awhile unused.

Performance wise this rig currently cools well but looks like heck cuz of external rads

Its likely i will have to remove the nice phantek Tub Res mount in order to fit the 2nd 290x in their. so i will have to put a Tube res at the back i think perhaps i'm wrong?

I had to remove it in order to fit my 290x in.

Be careful when it comes to the thick rads. Some might be too wide and have to mod the case. I've seen guys rip out the side of the case. Looks hideous after but only way to make it fit. That's another reason why I couldn't stand this case.

Well ill buy new rads before i mod the case.

If i find i cant fit all the rads the way i have planned in my head i will just do 2x 480s thin in the top thick in the bottom and be done with it.

but i think i should be able to do RX120 in the rear "2ndary power supply area" AX360 in the bottom - RX240 in the front and AX240 in the front side spot with the HDD trays removed.

if it doesnt line up then plan B i guess.

are EK Crossfire/SLI bridges worth it in your opinions? or just a waste of $ ?

I like bridges better than trying to route tubing. It gives it a much cleaner look as well. Check out pierre's primo build log. He went from no bridge to a bridge. Day n night difference. As for performance, I don't think there is a difference unless you configure parallel/serial.

Yeah, The guy you talking about is me. I built my PC for the ultimate performance that will satisfied my need. Building a beautiful PC mainly for looks to impress others is not my thing. I can careless about that. When I sit in front of my desk, my PC gave me the ultimate performance and I got the works done fast is what I am after. I got better thing to do than staring at the PC, wow all that beautiful led lights inside the case, bla bla bla. if that is what you want, then fine. Does not means others will follows your way of liking. see what means?.

Last edited:
Not insulting your rig Bruce. To each their own but its all personal preference as you said. No reason to rant and I wasn't talking about your case specifically because I've already seen "hacked" primo builds already.

No more ranting and back to the OPs thread.

Yes not insulting you just i will not buy a 250$ case only to hack it to peices id rather spend the extra 200 or so getting rads that fit in stock locations then butcher my case and end up with externally mounted equipment like i already have on my P280.

the whole point of switching cases is a looks over function change as the P280 with all these external rads is fully functional already. just looks butchered up.

Yes not insulting you just i will not buy a 250$ case only to hack it to peices id rather spend the extra 200 or so getting rads that fit in stock locations then butcher my case and end up with externally mounted equipment like i already have on my P280.

the whole point of switching cases is a looks over function change as the P280 with all these external rads is fully functional already. just looks butchered up.

oh, so i shouldn't suggest dropping one of the sidepanels and replacing it with a MO-RA ? :)

900D is large but everywhere i read their is broken latches and bits with poor poor quality control. its also 100+$ pricier then the Ethoo primo.

caselabs ect cases in canada are like 400-500$ thats just not going to happen

I can tell you that a monsta 480mm push/pull setup will fit on the bottom np
Up top a monsta 480mm will fit push or pull setup but my board lets me run push/pull up top

Back