• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android "gaming cosole"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I currently have a 2012 Nexus 7 running stock Android 4.4.2 which doesn't support MHL, and an HTC One X with Cyanogenmod 11 which does support MHL, although the audio doesn't work since there's a bug in the software. I have successfully used an MHL adapter to connect the HTC to a TV/monitor.

What I'd like to do is turn either one of the devices into a "console", by connecting it to TV/monitor, as well as having a game console type controller so it's nicer to play games on. I'm not looking at spending too much, but I have found some Playstation-like controllers on DX that's designed for Android devices. Preferably I'd prefer to use the Nexus, as it has almost identical performance to the HTC since they both have the same GPU, but the HTC is prone to overheating when gaming. If there's no alternative to MHL I'll have to stick with the HTC.

So basically, how can I connect either device to a TV/monitor and use a game console type controller at the same time?

I do have an Xbox 360 controller if that helps, with a USB dongle for Windows computers.

What about open up the HTC to upgrade the heatsinking? It's probably as easy as adding thermal pads and thermal paste.

Back